Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey i am a 13 almost 14 year old hunter and i am looking for a good 20 gauge for squirrel hunting and other hunting. I have been

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey i am a 13 almost 14 year old hunter and i am looking for a good 20 gauge for squirrel hunting and other hunting. I have been

Hey i am a 13 almost 14 year old hunter and i am looking for a good 20 gauge for squirrel hunting and other hunting. I have been hunting since i was about 7 so thats nothing to worry about. I want some good suggestions for a good quality 20 gauge for about 250-350 dollars or a little more, i also want it to be pump action, it has to be good for different hunting besides squirrel and i don't mind a little kick but just not too much. I hope people can give me some quality answers! Thank you.

Check out the sporting goods stores , gun shops, and pawn shops for a used Remington 870 20 gauge. You should be able to find one with the Rem chokes for the money you are willing to spend. I think that the 870 is the best pump action for your money.

Comment

I agree with Sarge on the Remington 870 but would recommend you look for a Wingmaster model. Theyre of better quality than more common 870 Express (which was my first shotgun at the age of 9). Don't be afraid to buy used, there are lots of great condition used guns out there and a local mom and pop gun shop might be a good place to start your search.

Comment

Rem 870! You can get some really good deals on used guns at pawn shops.

Comment

I think the Mossberg 500 is good beginner's gun. The Mossberg 500 is in your budget and is $300 cheaper than than a new Remington 870 Wingmaster, and $75 cheaper than the cheapest Remington 870. Some people say the metal looks like pot metal and the stocks are cheap, but people who say that must have only handled them a long time ago back when they where made more cheaply than now, and never handled them since. Because that has not been the case with me. My Mossberg 500 has never jammed, and has a more conveniently placed safety and action release than the Remington 870. While the Remington 870 does feel a little better in the hands, the Mossberg 500 still feels good and, as previously mentioned, has a more conveniently placed safety and action release.

Comment

A shotgun ought to have feel to it, the only mossbergs I've handled had the feel of a 4x4 hunk of pressure treated lumber. Doesn't matter where the safety is if you get a splinter trying to reach it.... Just saying.

Comment

I think you might find a good used Ithaca Model 37 in your price range at a pawn shop or gun show, but you'll need to have your father or some older relative to make the purchase for you.

Comment

Mossberg 500s feel very good in my hands and I do very good shooting skeet with my 500, but 870s do feel a little better. And of the 5 wood-stocked 500s in my family none have ever splintered.

Comment

Warning: It may be a violation of federal law for an adult, using your money, to buy you a gun from a licensed dealer by checking the box on Form 4473 stating that he/she is the actual buyer of the gun. That would be a "straw man" purchase because you, as a juvenile, would be a person prohibited from legally purchasing a firearm.
                  You could, however, be given a firearm by a relative as a gift.

Comment

Ya mite look at H&R NEF Pardner Pump 20Ga-3" Chamber,26"Bbl with Vent Rib,Choke set,Black Syn. Stock. $179.00 #72262 at Woodbury Outfitters
                    (740)623-2227 or check them-out on line.

Comment

I personally like the Browning BPS. Little bit more expensive than you have to spend, but worth it.

Comment

In your price range an 870. Like lost lure said, I personally would try to save a little while longer and get a BPS. Nothing against 870's. I just love Brownings. Just not a fan of Mossbergs but it is all personal preference.

Comment

look for a used mossberg 500 or a remington 870.

Comment

Benelli Nova or Supernova.

Totally ergonomic and reliable.

And the action is as slick as snot on a doorknob.

Comment

Nothing makes me feel better than this kind of question, and all of the great advice. Sounds like we will be leaving or heritage in good hands with this kid.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad