Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cabelas is selling herters shotgun ammo. all the reviews i read were good. and its priced well. any of you guys have first h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cabelas is selling herters shotgun ammo. all the reviews i read were good. and its priced well. any of you guys have first h

cabelas is selling herters shotgun ammo. all the reviews i read were good. and its priced well. any of you guys have first hand experience shooting their shotgun ammo?

Last month I acquired some of their Herter's Select 00 buckshot for coyote calling. It does not have the velocity and punch of other brands' standard loads, even from the European manufacturers. Pattern is just ok but really falls apart past 25 yards.

The Herter's rifle ammo I have chronographed over the past couple of years has never met advertised FPS. In one of last year's American Hunter issues, Herter's rifle ammo was tested, and they also experienced significant shortcomings in the FPS department.

I never use Herter's rifle ammo for actual field work. Only for testing hardware. I'm going to try the buckshot on coyotes, but plan to limit shots to short ones because I don't care for tracking.

Comment

Herters used to be good birdshot, long, long ago. Wait a minute, everything used to be better, long, long ago.

Comment

I have only heard it is not top-notch, to be avoided. I heeded that advice so i have no basis for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Proverbs View Post
          Last month I acquired some of their Herter's Select 00 buckshot for coyote calling. It does not have the velocity and punch of other brands' standard loads, even from the European manufacturers. Pattern is just ok but really falls apart past 25 yards.

The Herter's rifle ammo I have chronographed over the past couple of years has never met advertised FPS. In one of last year's American Hunter issues, Herter's rifle ammo was tested, and they also experienced significant shortcomings in the FPS department.

I never use Herter's rifle ammo for actual field work. Only for testing hardware. I'm going to try the buckshot on coyotes, but plan to limit shots to short ones because I don't care for tracking.
          We now have a Cabella's near Charlotte, NC. I used Herters products way back in the 60's because of the price and the outstanding quality. I decided to give Herter's a try once again. What I found was that the quality is still OUTSTANDING. The price is still very reasonable. I would have to say that Herter's shot shells ( both bird shot and buck shot) compare favorably with Winchester and Remington at a much better price. The hulls really hold up well for reloading too. You cannot go wrong with Herter's shot shells. Pattern and velocity are on par with premium brands. Herter's is GOOD stuff!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad