Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do ya'll think about military grade buckshot for hunting? And also, does anybody know anything about "Royal Buck" buckshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do ya'll think about military grade buckshot for hunting? And also, does anybody know anything about "Royal Buck" buckshot?

What do ya'll think about military grade buckshot for hunting? And also, does anybody know anything about "Royal Buck" buckshot? I have been looking for a cheaper alternative to Federal and Winchester and was wondering if these would be any good.

I have not personally tried it, but from what I've heard, it lacks a shot cup and spreads fast and rather erratically, in a very large thin pattern.
    Probably okay for military applications with multiple targets, and where wounding is acceptable.

Comment

I have Hornady Critical Defense 00 in a Rem 870 with a cylinder bore. I get patterns of 6-7" at 15 yards and 10-12" at 20 yards. I have never test fired anything as a hunting round to compare but one thing I've learned over the years after patterning a lot of shotguns, chokes, and loads is that every load shoots a little different out of ever shotgun. I don't know how Hornaday compares to the military stuff either. I'd say get a box of he military stuff and try it. It gets you out shooting anyway.

Comment

I don't have much use for any kind of buckshot for hunting if there is an alternative. I'd shoot a people with buckshot in self-defense, but I think too much of a deer to cripple it with such an inefficient load. Yeah, yeah, I know that thousands and thousands of deer have been killed with buckshot and I killed my share of them back when I first started deer hunting and that was the only load anybody used on deer (dog) drives, but I shot at a h#ll of a lot of deer that ran away that I thought I should have hit, and probably did. Buckshot has very limited effective range---about bowshot or less---and outside that, it is a crippling fool. It seldom exits a deer and doesn't give much of a blood trail in most instances. I'll let somebody else have the soapbox now.

Comment

Only for hunting coyotes. Please don't us it on deer, as it does not pattern tightly or consistently enough for deer shots beyond 20 yards. Even when we use it for coyote, we are setting up (calling) and getting them within 30 yards. This is using military grade buckshot. I don't have any experience with "Royal Buck."

Comment

Never thought much about the price of buckshot because I never shot enough of it to make price a factor. What are you doing to warrant high volume buckshot use?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad