Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have an opinion or expeance with a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter shotgun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have an opinion or expeance with a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter shotgun.

Does anyone have an opinion or expeance with a H&R; Ultra Slug Hunter shotgun.

My friend has one (a gift), very tight groups but it has a most brutal kick. Mind you, this guy is used to shooting an Ithaca #37 pump, so he knows a stiff recoil.

Comment

Ithaca, do you know what slugs he uses?

Comment

He tried the partition gold the hornady sst, I don't know which he stuck with.

Comment

Its Cheep,Light 5.1/4#, and in 12Ga or 45/70 it Kicks like a Mule with every Brand Slug on the market. If this is your only Gun..use-it! if not get you the Savage Mod 212 Bolt Action Slug Master, Its set to take a Scope or Iron sights, it has a Two round Mag +1 in the Chamber=3 not just 1 Round....just saying

Comment

Treestand, have you shot the Savage? if so can you recomend ammo

Comment

I have several of the NEF (H&R) and like them. Have not shot the 12ga, but do have the .50cal black powder. The transfer bar is a big advantage as you do not have to manipulate a safety. Another advantage is you can add other gauges or calibers as you need them.
              I would try rifled slugs in the barrel beside sabot type.
              The single shot can be loaded for a follow up shot almost as fast as a pump or bolt with a little practice.
              Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

YES...I just set one up for a Scope for a Friend and we used Brenneke KO Magnum Slugs, Three Holes touching at 100Yd...Ya can't beat that!

Comment

Ps....Savage Mod 220/20Ga it slimmer and liter and less recoil then a 12Ga and cost less.

Comment

I have the 12 gauge super slugger and love it. I use lightfield hybrid in 2 3/4" and at 100 yards I can put them through the same hole. It does kick like a mule but with the accuracy you should only need 1 shot. I switched from an 870 with a riffled barrel. I couldn't get a tight group with any slugs in that gun. Highly recommend it if you can handle the kick.

Comment

If you are looking for an accurate slug gun, the browning A-bolt cannot be beat. I bought one when browning first brought them to market in the mid nineties. They were only offered for four years but browning brought them back a year or two ago. I shoot Winchester partition golds; have leupold shotgun scope. The best gun purchase I have ever made. Upgraded from an 870 rifled barreled. The savages are nice too, I find the browning nicer.

Comment

I've used the Model 980 "Ultra" Slug in 3" to take several deer. I don't see a problem with recoil compared to a 3.5 inch 12 or 10 gauge with lead turkey loads. This gun has the mass to absorb recoil. In a hunting situation recoil is manageable or ignored. If placed properly the 12 gauge slug is deadly. Try it, you'll like it!

Comment

The one I saw at a gun store felt like it weighed around 8 pounds which I thought was awful heavy for a single shot

Comment

I purchased the H&R ultra slug hunter about three years ago and have had to have it worked on three times. Just today it misfired again while shooting at a deer. Will be getting rid of this gun. I know a friend having the same trouble. My new mission is to save people from H&R ultra slug hunter!

Comment

Originally posted by Deertrack View Post
                              I purchased the H&R ultra slug hunter about three years ago and have had to have it worked on three times. Just today it misfired again while shooting at a deer. Will be getting rid of this gun. I know a friend having the same trouble. My new mission is to save people from H&R ultra slug hunter!
                              I'm going to guess you were using Remington ammunition. I have found that Remington primers were set too deep and some H&R's (some of mine included) would put small dents in the primers but not enough to fire them. I now run a straight edge across all of my slugs regardless of who makes them. Anything deemed questionable by me is set aside for target practice. As to accuracy of the USH all of mine are top-notch shooters in both 12 and 20 gauge.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad