Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to do a little target shooting with my 12 ga trying to get my wife into shooting a little bit. Was explaining a pattern to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to do a little target shooting with my 12 ga trying to get my wife into shooting a little bit. Was explaining a pattern to

Went to do a little target shooting with my 12 ga trying to get my wife into shooting a little bit. Was explaining a pattern to her and everything. I noticed my wife's pattern was a little high, so I thought I'd give it a shot. My pattern was also high. How do you fix that on a shotgun? Surely we don't both have the same glitch in our shot? Any help would be appreciated!

Ya gotta lean well on the varnish!

Most folks do not like for the comb to strike their cheekbone, and they raise their heads off it.

That will make the shot go high.

Comment

You may need to have the comb lowered a bit for a custom fit.

Comment

You have to hug the stock and keep that eye low enough to line it up straight. Pretty common for new shooters to want to raise their head up a little high. It is a good thing you were patterning it so you could see the effect. I've seen people miss for a year before they discovered it.

Comment

Keep in mind that a European shotgun will print high naturally, or at least that was what I was told. I just put the bird on top of my bead, rather that covering it. Works like a charm for my Beretta.

Keep in mind that I am only a part-time shotgunner, as compared to rifles and handguns, so I am not the best person to answer this question. Maybe Phil will chime in?

Comment

Like Dakota said try and keep your eye lower and make sure to keep the bead so you can just see it over the top of the gun if you can see most of the barrel before the bead your going to hit slightly high

Comment

Some shotguns are designed to shoot a bit high. What are you shooting? If it bothers you that much you can have a adjustable comb made.

Comment

You might also be able to get a taller bead.

Comment

Try adding a slip on recoil pad. They're usually only a few bucks. Your stock may be a bit short. It might help.

Comment

I hate to be the one to point this out, but it sounds like you are the one teaching her to shoot and she has little or no experience. In my experience, this virtually guarantees that if you have a glitch in your shot, your student will have the same glitch. While all of the above is reasonably good advice, do not overlook the possibility of an error in your own form.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad