Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This upland and waterfowl season I'll be using an O/U with 26 inch 20 gauge barrels and 28 inch 12 gauge barrels. What choke bra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This upland and waterfowl season I'll be using an O/U with 26 inch 20 gauge barrels and 28 inch 12 gauge barrels. What choke bra

This upland and waterfowl season I'll be using an O/U with 26 inch 20 gauge barrels and 28 inch 12 gauge barrels. What choke brand and size do you recommend? I'll be bird hunting without a dog and duck hunting over decoys, but may do some pass shooting as well. Also, should I get Internal or external chokes? Is there really a difference in performance? All thoughts will be appreciated, thanks guys.

JMO~~ The 12Ga/28" Full/ExFull Internal Choke would be best for Ducks, Your are limiting your self to two shots with an O/U, Its your chose to hang Turkey DO-DaDs off your Shotgun Bbl's,NOW Why limit your self with a 20Ga..With Less of a Pay-load to your Target??....Try your self at a Trap Field to improve your Swing and Tracking Skills....just saying.

Comment

Bird Hunting Without a Dawg?

Comment

Chokes are different for steel than for lead shot.

Git the longest choke tubes to decrease the slope of the region where the shot are compressed.

For shooting over decoys (15 to 20 yds) use the equivalent of Improved cylinder.

Do your research at online vendor sites.

For choke tubes, the more expensive, the better.

Use a 20 gauge to keep from getting hammered.

Mah favorites are the O/Us and the T/C Contender or Encore.

The Thompson/Centers have a fully adjustable trigger, and that is equally important as any other consideration.

Ah nevva hit ennything on the second shot that Ah didn't hit on the first.

Without a dawg on enny type of bird, you'll git mebbe 20% of the shooting upland and ye'll be lucky to find half of them or less.

Just mah own experience talking.

Comment

There is no difference in performance between extended choke tubes and regular tubes. I wouldn't suggest going anything more open than a light modified when waterfowl hunting. I go with a modified choke over decoys. Little known fact but the tighter your restriction the longer your shot string will be thus helping you on crossing shots. For this reason I would suggest a full or extra full for pass shooting. I like carlson tubes, I have several of them for both my trap guns and bought a couple for waterfowl hunting. I would suggest a tube made specifically for steel shot. I also like extended tubes because they are easily changed with no tool and if you neglect to clean the threads or somehow get your choke tube stuck in the barrel you can get more leverage when removing it.

Comment

Bird hunting without a dawg? Who the hell ever heard of such a thing? What is an external choke?

Comment

I have bought and used a ton of choke tubes, and I haven't been able to pinpoint any differences between extended or not or cheap vs. expensive. The cheapest tubes were predictably junk, but other than that, I have seen $30 tubes produce much better results than $80 tubes. The only conclusion I can draw is that shotguns are more like rifles than you think, and each specific gun and load likes a different tube. I think a lot of people give expensive choke tubes a good rating to justify the money they already spent.

That being said, bayouwoof is right. You will miss a whole lot of opportunities upland hunting without a dog. I do it, because I don't have a choice, but I know I am missing out. I don't think you lose much waterfowling without a dog, aside from companionship and the occasional water-over-the-waders situation.

Comment

Though mostly I hunt ducks with a 12 gauge o/u, I still, I think it's better with a 3-shot gun. I'm really picky with my shots (very seldom pass shoot)now because I don't want that bird sailing off in the brush with a load of shot in it's butt and me with an empty gun. If you are going to hunt with a 20 gauge o/u, (and no pup) please keep all shots very close and over open areas so the chance of a gettaway is reduced.Far better men than me will tell you that more than any other wildgame, waterfowl is a 12 gauge(or more) sport. We owe it to the birds. There is no substitute for patterning your shotgun/choke and shells, I have and found my factory Invector+ chokes suit me just fine, even better when I do my part well. Pattern your shotgun with your factory chokes 1st. You may be happy with what they do.

Comment

I'd suggest putting a modified choke in your first barrel and a full choke in your second barrel. I'd suggest shooting 3" shells in the 20 gauge for more shot in the pattern. 2 1/2 shells are plenty for decoy ducks in the 12 gauge. If your 12 gauge is not a double barrel, I'd go with full choke so you have enough pattern for that third shot. I'm not a fan of double barrels for duck hunting because I like that third shot but to each his own. Not sure what an external choke is but to me a choke is a choke and I wouldn't lose sleep over its manufacturer or configuration.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad