Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be possible to open a Full choke to modified for slugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mspl8sdcntryboy
    replied
    I really don't know which slugs would be best for a full choke, as I have a IC choked shotgun.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    I shot Remington and Brenneke 12 gauge slugs through a full choke accessory barrel on a Rem 870, and the slugs are sufficiently malleable to endure the slight choke constriction near the muzzle. The Brenneke slugs were more accurate for me at 100 yards.

Leave a comment:

• DranDran
    replied
    He didn't have the gun with him when he offered it to me, it was at his hunting camp so he was going off memory on the brand/model. Not a big deal for me everyone gets brands/models mixed up. What slugs would be recommended for a full choke?

Leave a comment:

• mspl8sdcntryboy
    replied
    Well DakotaMan, they do make slugs a little smaller diameter than the barrel, that is what the cavity in the rear of the slug is for: the gasses fill the cavity and cause the hollow portion of the slug to swell and create a seal inside the barrel, just like the Mini`e (pronounced Min-yay, not mini) balls of civil war fame.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    You can shoot slugs through a full choke. I've done that for about 50 years. Don't you think they would post a warning on the box if it would blow up a gun with a full choke? They'd never sell slugs if they didn't work in a full choke.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I think he meant he thought he was being given a Win Model 12 but it turned out to be a Remington Model 31 instead. Nice to have that kind of benefactor no matter which gun it was! My guess is someone who knew little about guns inherited one that they were told was something it wasn't and he/she is now handing it down to this lucky fella.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    You have a Remington Mod 31 not Winchester 12..Theirs NO listing for Win/Mod 31 ????

Leave a comment:

• DranDran
    replied
    Thank's Honker, I was before he offered me this one I was looking at either a Mossberg 500 or an 870 both deer/field combos. This one is a 12 gauge can't find 16 gauge in my area

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    My older brother's first gun was a 16 gauge Model 31. He still hunts pheasants with me every year using that gun. They were a fine piece of workmanship as far as I'm concerned. The move to making 870s was not a quality one but rather economics in an effort to take over the Model 12's hold on working man's shotgun business. Succeeded in doing that, sadly. Mind you, I have owned an 870 since 1968 and shot perhaps thousands of birds with it. It has done the job but is about through now. The cheap stuff in the guts is finally catching up. The 870 is a cheaply made gun that has held up fairly well. As to workmanship, the Model 31 is head and shoulders above it.

I picked up a new Model 877 when I was in Scheel's at Grand Forks last fall. Ugh! Another step downwards in my opinion. Those things are crude!

Leave a comment:

• DranDran
    replied
    Thank you. My great uncle told me it wasn't a good idea (52 yrs hunting) so I was just going by what I was told. I have heard it was safe and I have heard it was not safe. What do you think of a free first gun? M31 a good choice? The person giving it to me said it was a Winchester 31

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Gad, don't wreck a fine collectible like that! As far as I know a full choke barrel for Model 31 will handle rifled slugs just fine. Not sure who would have told you otherwise. I shot lots of slugs through my old Model 12 without any issues and the Model 31 was every bit as good a gun with well-made barrels. Now an old Model 11 ... maybe not so much. I have heard that even though those barrels were thick metal they were not terribly strong.

Also, you should be able to shoot steel shot through that full choke barrel okay as long as you don't shoot anything larger than BB shot and stick to the lighter, faster loads (1 oz or less for 2.75" shells). Modified might give you a better pattern for steel but I wouldn't advise messing up a great gun like that for the small difference it might make. I kill a lot of geese with steel shot through my old fixed full choke 870 3" mag. On a poor day I bat .500 and many days I will shoot a limit of five honkers in five shots. I don't think I'm an exceptional shot either. Does help to be on the leading edge of the migration, that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• DranDran
    replied
    I thought I was getting a Model 12 Full choke but it is actually a Model 31 Full choke. I do not feel safe putting something like a slug through such a constriction . Does anyone have an idea of what it would cost to do so? if not a friend of my uncle's is a gunsmith

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Affirmative. I know of a hunting guide who had a full choke barrel opened up to improved cylinder bore, and he lent it to duck hunter clients who could not hit well with their own full bore shotguns.

It improved some of their scores dramatically, and a number of them offered to buy it, thinking it was a full choke shotgun because of the barrel marking, which still read "Full Choke."

Leave a comment:

• Would it be possible to open a Full choke to modified for slugs?

Would it be possible to open a Full choke to modified for slugs?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad