Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how far can a .410 shoot and still kill a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Vines
    replied
    Honestly 50 yards would be my max and dont carry one until you can consistently punch holes in a 4 inch diameter circle/target. I've killed many deer with my winchester 37 410 at ranges from 10 to 40 yards. Know your limitations and if you do your job the cartridge will do its job.

And the moron who compared a 410 slug to a 38 special needs to check his information. 38 runs around 1000fps with 200ish ft lbs of energy. 410 moves around 1700fps with near 800ft lbs. Thats hotter than any 357mag from a pistol

Leave a comment:

• Woodsman
    replied
    Originally posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Don't use the .410. It has only about energy of a 38 special target load. Not nearly enough for deer. Think 20 gauge or bigger, or even a rifle.
    3 inch 410 slugs have more energy than 200 gr 10mm so it's as hot as 357 magnum quite a bit more than 38s

Leave a comment:

• Woodsman
    replied
    A 410 slug weighing 1/4 oz going 1700 fps or faster will have around 760 ft.lbs of energy which is more than a 200 gr 10mm so yes it'll take deer now as to the bullet/velocity drop I can only guess but going off the bullet diameter ,shape, and weight I know it'll be a lot faster than a 10mm so I'd keep it under 50 yrds but all that being said I wouldn't recommend you use one using a 410 to hunt deer is for 2 reasons 1) for younger or very recoil shy hunters 2) for a VERY experienced hunter to handicap himself and make it more difficult and give the game a better chance now before everyone starts dogging me let me say this it's the same thing as bow/muzzle loader hunting ( if you have a choice not cause you can't own a gun) why limit yourself to 35 or 100 yrds when you can drop a seer at 300 yrds with a 30-06 because it's too easy and if you have to ask us if it's OK for deer you should use it

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• Zachattack
    replied
    .410 is a really good shotgun, for small game i use mine for rabbits,field rats, sometimes even a crow or hawk. But i prefer the 20 gauge is great for deer and even coyotes.

Leave a comment:

• blackdawgz
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• blackdawgz
    replied
    I like to make clean kills. No need in spoiling your hunt by letting a wounded deer get away. Let the very experienced experts take the long shots. 30 yards from a tree stand gets you up out of the brush for a heart or head shot.

Leave a comment:

• bertram
    replied
    410s are for experts and are usually too tightly choked for slugs, accuracy would be too suspect to ethically use one for deer hunting.

Leave a comment:

• gman3186
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• gman3186
    replied
    with buckshot 50-60 yards with a slug out to 100 yards and i know because i have shot deer with a 410 for years now.you do wanna head shoot them with buckshot

Leave a comment:

• libertyfirst
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• libertyfirst
    replied
    The 410 with a slug will kill deer at very close range, but it certainly is not a good choice. My brother has been successful with his pump remington from a tree stand and 25 yard range. One of the thing that would bother me about hunting deer with a very small shotgun would be the accuracy. As the energy decreases the accuracy is more and more important.

Leave a comment:

• libertyfirst
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• libertyfirst
    replied
    The 410 with a slug will kill deer at very close range, but it certainly is not a good choice. My brother has been successful with his pump remington from a tree stand and 25 yard range. One of the thing that would bother me about hunting deer with a very small shotgun would be the accuracy. As the energy decreases the accuracy is more and more important.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Don't use the .410. It has only about energy of a 38 special target load. Not nearly enough for deer. Think 20 gauge or bigger, or even a rifle.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• steve182
    replied
    I agree this is not an ideal use for this gun. If you must, shoot slugs out to 50 or 60 yds, IF you can hit a pie plate at that range. You'd be much better shooting a 20ga.

Leave a comment:

• KMB33
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• KMB33
    replied
    I would say go to a 20 gauge

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    410 with slugs out to 60-75 yards maybe but the bottom line, not a very good idea period!

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    ⭐⭐⭐

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    I believe a .410 can hold a couple of 000 pellets, so I would say max range with those would be about 20-30 yards. With slugs I would try to keep everything closer than 50 yards. I had a friend that hunted deer quite successfully with a .410.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad