Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how far can a .410 shoot and still kill a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how far can a .410 shoot and still kill a deer?

how far can a .410 shoot and still kill a deer?

.410 shooting a deer? I have not met one person who carries that caliber for deer. That is meant for a lot smaller game. If you did want to kill a deer with that however, you would be looking to make a head shot at a farely close distance.

Comment

Not very. Use 20 gauge slugs.

Comment

Three to five feet but you should not be shooting deer with a .410 unless you are using a slug. .410's are normally not too popular for slug hunting since they pack minimal energy for deer. Most .410 slugs are made for the widest choke made, the "cylinder" choke and few .410s have this choke to make matters worse. In a pinch, you could get some .410 slugs and try them out. If you can find one that is accurate enough, you could shoot deer out to 50-80 yards with it.

Comment

I believe a .410 can hold a couple of 000 pellets, so I would say max range with those would be about 20-30 yards. With slugs I would try to keep everything closer than 50 yards. I had a friend that hunted deer quite successfully with a .410.

Comment

410 with slugs out to 60-75 yards maybe but the bottom line, not a very good idea period!

Comment

I would say go to a 20 gauge

Comment

I agree this is not an ideal use for this gun. If you must, shoot slugs out to 50 or 60 yds, IF you can hit a pie plate at that range. You'd be much better shooting a 20ga.

Comment

Don't use the .410. It has only about energy of a 38 special target load. Not nearly enough for deer. Think 20 gauge or bigger, or even a rifle.

Comment

The 410 with a slug will kill deer at very close range, but it certainly is not a good choice. My brother has been successful with his pump remington from a tree stand and 25 yard range. One of the thing that would bother me about hunting deer with a very small shotgun would be the accuracy. As the energy decreases the accuracy is more and more important.

Comment

The 410 with a slug will kill deer at very close range, but it certainly is not a good choice. My brother has been successful with his pump remington from a tree stand and 25 yard range. One of the thing that would bother me about hunting deer with a very small shotgun would be the accuracy. As the energy decreases the accuracy is more and more important.

Comment

with buckshot 50-60 yards with a slug out to 100 yards and i know because i have shot deer with a 410 for years now.you do wanna head shoot them with buckshot

Comment

410s are for experts and are usually too tightly choked for slugs, accuracy would be too suspect to ethically use one for deer hunting.

Comment

I like to make clean kills. No need in spoiling your hunt by letting a wounded deer get away. Let the very experienced experts take the long shots. 30 yards from a tree stand gets you up out of the brush for a heart or head shot.

Comment

.410 is a really good shotgun, for small game i use mine for rabbits,field rats, sometimes even a crow or hawk. But i prefer the 20 gauge is great for deer and even coyotes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad