Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like I will not need to buy a shotgun, someone I mow for was going through his gun cabinet and doesn't have room for 1 sho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like I will not need to buy a shotgun, someone I mow for was going through his gun cabinet and doesn't have room for 1 sho

Looks like I will not need to buy a shotgun, someone I mow for was going through his gun cabinet and doesn't have room for 1 shotgun so he is giving me a choice of one. One is an Ithaca semi-auto and the other is a Winchester pump, both are 12 gauge. Thank you for all the help with my decisions. I am leaning towards the pump but it has a fixed choke. What is the tightest choke that is safe to put a slug through? Sorry if miscategorized

The best choke for Slug use Cyl/bore or Imp/Cyl but you can shoot slugs in full chock guns. as for your two shotguns my vote the Ithaca.

Comment

I will talk to him and see if I can shoot them and see what I like better

Comment

My Ithaca 37 12ga shot slugs (lead, not sabots) real good through a Modified choke.

Comment

DranDran,I don't own either of those shotguns. I do own Browning and Remington Shotguns.

If you asked this question "What shotgun would you take a pump or semi auto?" Without naming the gun manufacturers, I would take the semi auto over the pump.

Comment

semi -auto

Comment

Both are American made solid weapon systems. The semi automatic tends to not handle a slug as well as a pump. But you can get some great follow up shots off of a semi as long as it doesn't missfeed. I would go with the pump its bomb proof.

Comment

I know Treestand said I could put a rifled slug through a full choke, would that be a bad thing? I don't know the choke I will ask him tomorrow. I do like a pump because I know after the shot there is no way it could go off if I don't chamber the next shell.

Comment

Ithaca.

Comment

Not sure of the Ithaca model but I know the pump is a Winchester Model 12

Comment

If the pump is a Win Model 12 I would go with that, it's a classic.

Comment

@Safado, I did some research on it and found it was called "The best repeater on the market"

Comment

@Safado, I did some research on it and found it was called "The best repeater on the market"

Comment

Well from a semi-collector stand point, the model 12 is great gun, depending on what your intended use is. The older model 12s were 2 3/4 only, more of a look at gun than a real waterfowl gun by todays standards. As far as the ithaca the only experience I have is with a model 37, basically a copy of the Remington model 17. Both very reliable and accurate.

Comment

Depending on the age of the model 12, I might consider trading a brand new Rem. 870. Just because I have several "current" waterfowl and deer shotguns, and I'm a sucker for old steel

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad