Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought a new box of shells last fall and this weekend I had several misfires with the shells after going through about half th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a new box of shells last fall and this weekend I had several misfires with the shells after going through about half th

I bought a new box of shells last fall and this weekend I had several misfires with the shells after going through about half the box previously. One shell I attempted several times and two others only once. I bought a new box today and have not had a problem with misfires from this box. I had cleaned the firing pin by removing it and cleaned the firing pin well as well prior to the misfires. Has any one had the same or similar experiences. BTW the shotgun is a single shot Sears modal and the shells are Remington game loads.

Treat ammo like good wine and keep it in a cool dry place with a constant temperature. Ammo thus stored will give good service for years.

Comment

I've never had a problem storing ammo before, so this has surprised me. I am wondering if the primers have gone bad or were bad at the time of manufacture, or can primers even go bad? They show good firing pin strikes, just no ignition.

Comment

It has taken me years to finish a box of shells, particularly high brass, as I save those for rabbits and pheasant.
        The only misfire I have ever experienced came at the worst possible time. My buddy Adam and I were after my first ever turkey several years ago and we finally had a bird at 20 yards when, CLICK! The Remington shell dimpled, but did not fire. Luckily Adam was quick back up and we still bagged the bird, but I had to wait until the following season to bag my first longbeard. Never had it happen since.

Comment

In addition to heat and humidity, WD40 is the enemy of ammo. It will penetrate the primers and ruin them. Years ago we had an officer who sprayed down his service revolver with WD40 after each shift before locking it in his locker. Then one night he found himself in a gunfight with a revolver that went click, click against a suspect whose gun went bang, bang. The officer's name is now on the memorial plaque of those killed in the line of duty.

Comment

I have had Problems with Remington Primers(109)in my 50Cal CVA Smoke pole while Deer Hunting had a 6Pter in my Scope @ 70+/-Yd The Primer just Fizzled-OUT The buck Ran-off I changed the Primer with a Rem(109) a 4Pt buck next up at the same spot and the same Fizzle...Back at Camp went with Winchester Primers(109)and BANG every Time their after, Next Morning the 4Pter was on my meat pole.

Comment

It may have been just a bad lot of ammo. The new box could have been a new/different lot, and therefor no misfires

Comment

If light primer hits and improper ammo storage are both ruled out I would have to assume that the shells were out of a bad lot. A call to Remingtons customer service may result in a rebate or some free goodies.

Comment

Could the primers have been seated a little too low? I had that happen once with a .450 marlin. I was overzealous in seating the primers and slightly crushed them. Click - nothing, click - nothing.
                  Took them all apart and put in new primers and, no problemo.

Comment

I've only had one factory primer failure. Remington.
                    I've only had one handload primer failure. It was a Win LRP but think it was contamination from a killer deal on a case lot!
                    I've only had one "hard" primer failure. CCI. ....and I sowed the remainder of that tin of No. 11 caps in a wheat field! Nothing but Rem No. 11 caps for my percussion rifles.
                    WD-40 is a solvent, NOT a lubricant. The "WD" in WD-40 stands for "water displacement". It's super for getting the water out of rain/snow exposed arms, but it will kill primers.

Comment

I never use wd-40 on any of my weapons. It works great on squeaky hinges and stuck bolts but I have seen it gum up too weapons making them almost impossible to clean. CLP or Hopes #9 is all I use now.

Comment

WD-40 also leaves a residue that attracts dirt/sand, very bad for firearms obviously.

Comment

A gunsmith once told me to avoid using WD-40 on firearms, as it turns to varnish over time.

Comment

Could be primers seated too deep or a bad lot. We had a bad run of CCI shotgun primers a few years ago. I have also had some of the cheap Remington black hulled "Sportsman" loads misfire in the past. Never had a Remington Hypersonic or Federal Black Cloud or other Federal of any kind fail to go BOOM.

Comment

Try the ones that didn't fire in a different shotgun. Maybe the firing pin hits to light for the Rem primers. It is not always (alot) but not always the ammo, could just be a light hitting firing pin. I would definate;y rule it out, at least then you know and now you have shells that didn't fire to test it on

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad