Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a college student new to hunting and was wondering what i should look into as far as getting the best bang for my buck with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a college student new to hunting and was wondering what i should look into as far as getting the best bang for my buck with

I'm a college student new to hunting and was wondering what i should look into as far as getting the best bang for my buck with shotguns?

I would buy an 870 super mag nice reliably pump shotgun that will shoot everything. They are available for about 400 dollars. So they don't break the bank either

Comment

JMO~~ Look at a good Used Shotgun like Win/Mod-12,Ithaca Mod-37,Browning M-2000,Rem/870-1100. their are many good tried and true used S/guns on the market under the $300.00 price point+/-

Comment

Mossberg 500. And I dont care about what anybody says about them, theres nothing wrong with the 500.

Comment

I agree with the guys above. I would get the Remington 870.
          nathan, your four years of college comes before hunting. Get good grades, a great paying job with that college dipolma, and you can buy the best shotgun on the market.
          Hunting will be there the rest of your life.
          Good Luck!

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

I have always been a fan of the Browning M-2000. I have shot a few different and always fall back to my browning, it was my first shotgun and I love it.

Comment

Being new I would start with the most basic and simple proven method for a shot gun a Pump action. So I would look at either the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500. Both are find guns a very simple and easy. Both are usually carried by stores like Wal Mart and local gun shops. They both easily shoot 3 inch mags and now sometimes come with two barrels one for slugs and the other shot shells. I prefer the Mossberg. The look and it feels better to me. The brownings and benellies are great but can be a little higher and harder to find in local stores. Good luck on either choice.

Comment

If you plan to do any target shooting at all spend a little more and find a used Beretta 390 or 3901 or Remington 11-87 semiauto. The recoil reduction of a gas semiauto makes them much better suited for target games than a pump.
                  If you are only interested in hunting, then a good pump gun is all you need.

Comment

Mossberg 835 in 12 gauge for hunting. It is versatile and can be used for many game animals. It allows you to shoot 2 3/4" shells up to 3 1/2" magnums.

I bought one used about 4 years ago for $265 and it has been one of my greatest investments (7-0) on turkeys.

Comment

Can never go wrong with a Remington 870.

Comment

thehunter98.6
                        Yes you can.

Comment

Stoeger 3500 or 3000 are affordable semi's as well. Phil B's advice is sound if you plan on doing much shooting at all, I too would recommend a semi. That said, pump guns have been used in every shotgunning act imaginable and will perform as required for a little less cash.

Comment

I agree with you all. Remington 870 and the mossberg 500 are great affordable shotguns. However I like my italian brands for thats what I grew up shooting. My first real hunting shotgun was a franci alcione back in 6th grade. In high school i got a benelli M2 and now in college I just recieved a Beretta Xtrema 2. Now I am a very fortunate person that was born into a family with fairly successfull grandparents who also loved to hunt. Those guns were either handed down or given to me. I know some you guys are thinking wow what a spoiled brat. Yes I am very fortunate but I do have humility. My point is if I was not so fortunate and I had to buy my shotguns, I would go with the Benelli nova. Cheap, reliable pump for the italian brand gurus.

Comment

I agree with you all. Remington 870 and the mossberg 500 are great affordable shotguns. However I like my italian brands for thats what I grew up shooting. My first real hunting shotgun was a franci alcione back in 6th grade. In high school i got a benelli M2 and now in college I just recieved a Beretta Xtrema 2. Now I am a very fortunate person that was born into a family with fairly successfull grandparents who also loved to hunt. Those guns were either handed down or given to me. I know some you guys are thinking wow what a spoiled brat. Yes I am very fortunate but I do have humility. My point is if I was not so fortunate and I had to buy my shotguns, I would go with the Benelli nova. Cheap, reliable pump for the italian brand gurus.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad