Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a college student and I would like to start trap shooting this summer. I would like to purchase a good quality used shotgu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a college student and I would like to start trap shooting this summer. I would like to purchase a good quality used shotgu

I am a college student and I would like to start trap shooting this summer. I would like to purchase a good quality used shotgun, instead of a cheap quality new one, but I really don't know what to get. My budget is under $700. Can anybody make a suggestion about what I should look for? Thanks.

Remington 870 Wingmaster Class Trap shotgun is a great choice. the 870 is a terrific shotgun. If not, might I recommend the Benelli SuperNova, or Nova Pump. These are HIGH QUALITY shotguns. you're best off buying the SuperNova, it'll perform better. It's under 600 dollars new. So I would recommend buying that one new. Benelli makes quality shotguns.

Comment

Reid gave some very good advice. One thing though a semi-automatic will dampen recoil which is a factor when you shoot 100 trap loads in a day. A good used Rem 1100 or 11-87 would work. You might even pick up a used Benelli. Also mossberg makes a nice O/U in your price range.

Comment

Exactly as Del said if you are going to do it semi pro or better, then you will be shooting 2-5 days a week and about 4 rounds a day. That's 100 shots either an 11-87 or a Browning Gold should fit the bill. Winchester SX II or III, you won't touch a Bennelli SBE for that price. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Another route is a Ruger Red Lable if you want to go the O/U route.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your answers. Brad--Do you think I can get a Ruger Red Label for under 700?

Comment

Jim-NO! unless it's used and worn out majorly. a ruger red label is a VERY very very nice shotgun. Over unders are expensive shotguns to begin with, but when you buy from such a reputable and prestigous brand like Ruger, it's gonna cost you. they range at about 1600 i think. correct me if im wrong. sorry guys, i was thinkinb about autoloaders but most of them are pretty pricy.

Comment

If you are shootin trap go with the 870 Clasic Trap its all you will need and you wont be disapointed. They will point as good as a M12 but they wont break your bank account. Good luck and good shooting.

Comment

Jim, sorry they are a little higher than I thought they run around 800-850 for a used one. Go to Gunbroker.com and look them up, here are two that I found. Just be patient and you'll find one, a really good place to look is your shooting buddies, they often feel the need to trade or upgrade. Anyway here are the links.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128691912

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129094885

Good Luck!

Comment

A Remington 1100 specifically made for trap should be available somewhere for 700 or so.

Comment

There are Benelli semi-autos that are less money than an SBE. You don't need 3.5 in ammo for trap. I was thinking something along the line of an M-1.

Comment

If I was buying a shotgun to shoot nothing but trap I'd go with the beretta urika.

Comment

I bought a red label about 10 years ago and if i remember right it cost somewhere around 700 bucks, give or take 50. The red label is a nice gun, I love how it carries and shoots but it is NOT a fine gun. The wood to metal fit is terrible at best, the checkering stinks and the wood is ugly. BUT it shoots great every time I pull the trigger and it fits me like a glove. I hunt rabbits, pheasants, ducks, and geese with it. And I have shot plenty of 25's with it, one 50 and my best out of 100 is a 98. It wont will any contests as a FINE pretty gun, it is more like a plow horse, but it gets the job done. If you are looking for an OU I think you could do alot worse than a red label.

Comment

I found a Red Label a couple years ago for around $700. You can also pick up a Beretta 390 at Wal-Mart for you price but I'm still a little leary about buying guns at wal-mart. Look for something used, or any pump gun, I shot trap for 2 yrs in college with my BPS and had no problems it just wasn't as pretty as some of the guns as the guys I shot with had.

Comment

If you spend the time looking you should be able to find a used Remington 11-87 or a used Beretta Urika for $700 or less. - I have and loved them both.

Comment

Get a Remington 11-87! These guns are perfect for skeet and trap shooting. The recoil is light, and you never miss. The gun is built solidly, and can withstand many uses. I use them for skeet and waterfowl hunting, and they never fail me. Do not get a pump action gun for trap. You have to waste time and pump a gun, which affects your accuracy. Semi-auto guns are the better choice because you have a quick followup shot if needed. The Remington 11-87 is usually in the price range of $400-$600 depending on the features you want incorporated, like the finish, or the wood used in the gun. Do not get a pump.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Won't disagree, but getting away from Gov. Cuomo (D-NY) is a matter of life and death.

P.S. - nothing would please Cuomo more than getting...
                                Today, 09:49 PM
                              • Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Remington to be bought out by seven (7) different investors!...
                                Today, 10:05 AM
                              • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by rock rat
                                OSHA suggests that the safest method for retail establishments to deal with non compliant customers regarding masks is to not confront them. Some non...
                                Today, 09:48 PM
                              • Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by FirstBubba
                                We know COVID-19 deaths are wildly inflated.
                                NOW... by the CDC's own definition, COVID-19 "cases" are even more wildly exaggerated!...
                                Today, 10:45 AM
                              • Reply to I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by FirstBubba
                                Donald J. Trump, as POTUS and a business man from the private sector, never wrote the first syllable of tax code/law. He turned everything over to an...
                                Today, 09:44 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X