Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking to get a new shotgun for Turkey season, I'm between a mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. Any suggestions would be helpfu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to get a new shotgun for Turkey season, I'm between a mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. Any suggestions would be helpfu

looking to get a new shotgun for Turkey season, I'm between a mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I like to 870 better, However the quality control is that of a chinese toy factory. Many of then have been having trouble with ejecting spent shells. Go with the Mossberg.

Comment

I prefer the 870 over the 500. Just feel better in my hands. Heck, with 10 million sold its gotta be pretty popular!

Comment

I like the 870

Comment

Rem 870. Hands down.

Comment

I own both and I perfer the 870. That being said my turkey gun is an H&R. I got the reciever and stock for free put on a 24" barrle chamber 3 1/2" shells with screw in choke tube. I love it. It is almost a foot shorter that my 870 and only cost me $150. That includes the choke tube.

Comment

I'm sorry about the duplicate posts .

Comment

Don't know about the MB 500, but a turkey dies every time my MB 835 goes "bang" and has for the past ten years. (Same zombie turkey.)

Comment

MB 535 is a great turkey gun and great all around shotgun IMO

Comment

870 just better

Comment

I like both, but the 870 is better in terrain. You do need a stricter choke though.

Comment

I have both. I carry the 500 when I'm covering ground because it is a lot lighter. The 870 is just as good and more solid and heavier so recoil is slightly less. Because I have a turkey choke for the 500 and cover ground thats what I use but either works.

Comment

870 Wingmaster. The Wingmaster definitely has a smoother action than the Express and less stamped parts than the Mossberg or Express.

Comment

About 30 or so years ago I was faced with the same question. At the time a big box store was having a really good sale on the Remingtons so the price difference wasn't that big. I compared the quality, fit, and finish, etc. of the two. The difference between the two left no doubt that the Remington was the way to go. I still have it and it is still putting food on my table. Mossberg may have a better shotgun today than it did back then, but a few years back I gave my sons shotguns for Christmas. They got 870's as well.

Comment

I would stay away from the Mossturd, and go with an 870 Wingmaster.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad