Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What choke and action are most common for skeet shooting? I have tried with a modified and I missed, But when I used a full I hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What choke and action are most common for skeet shooting? I have tried with a modified and I missed, But when I used a full I hi

What choke and action are most common for skeet shooting? I have tried with a modified and I missed, But when I used a full I hit both of the skeets I shot at (only had time for 2).

Most guys at my club use either semi-autos or over-unders. As for choke, skeet or skeet 2 is what i would shoot.

Comment

Cylinder bore is okay. Full choke would be the worst choice because the more open the choke the better.

Comment

At least a skeet choke. But then, I don't have any "100 Straight" patch on my shooting vest! LOL! They're bright yellow and turkeys don't like them!

BTW! How did you prepare your two skeets? All I can figure out to do is make gravy! ...and it's awfully gritty! They're all bone, no meat!

Comment

Sorry!
          Action: stack barrel! They make models that have barrel liners so you
          can shoot all three gauges and .410.

Approach wirh caution! Skeet is highly addictive and NOT a poor boy's game!
          Perrazzi's and 101's AIN'T cheap!

Comment

open your chokes.
            saying you broke both with full chokes says you shot way out there.
            I'm fond of the gas semi-autos but that's strictly personal preference.

It really sounds as if you're just practicing your wing shooting by busting clays...and that's great. Target loads are fairly cheap, reloading them even cheaper, and the more you shoot the better you'll get.
            Try to keep both eyes open and focused on the clay. Keep the barrel moving and trust in your natural hand/eye co-ordination. It'll surprise you.

Comment

Ok, apparently I do it all wrong. I use full choke (my modified choke patterns way high, but my full doesn't), I use a pump, I don't shoot with my dominate eye (I am right handed and left eyed). I shot both targets with the first shot, so I didn't have to put another shell in the chamber while the skeet was still in flight. About how far is normal? Also, where would skeet chokes compare in size to other chokes?

FirstBubba- I ground the bones up really fine and put them in biscuits. Actually, the one that didn't turn into powder I reused as targets for the .22, which pretty much obliterated them. I'm not really planning on getting into skeets either. I want to start dove and quail and goose hunting, and I need target practice. Now, I'm not sayin' it's not a blast, I'm just not doing it for competitive shooting.

Comment

A skeet choke is inbetween cylinder and Imp cylinder. Skeet II is inbetween Imp cylinder and modified. If you really want to improve your shooting, you should shoot more than skeet, try trap and five-stand too. Five-stand is my personal favorite.

Comment

I use a Remington modified choke and it seems to work fine for skeet.

Comment

Chewy,
                    As stated in your post you're really busting clays to improve your success in the field.
                    If I were you, I'd bust the clays with whatever set-up I'd be carrying in the field.
                    It's all good.

Comment

Skeet

Comment

I used my Wingmaster for skeet for several years then bought my Red Label. I use skeet choke tubes in both shotguns.

Comment

your terminology makes your post confusing to read...there is no such thing as a "skeet", i think your referring to clays. skeet is a game. when shooting skeet its quite simple, you use a skeet tube!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad