Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am building a turkey gun for the up coming season. I wanted somthing ugly, reliable, short, and light. I didn't want to have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am building a turkey gun for the up coming season. I wanted somthing ugly, reliable, short, and light. I didn't want to have

I am building a turkey gun for the up coming season. I wanted somthing ugly, reliable, short, and light. I didn't want to have to worry about it in rainy conditions. I found an NEF 12 ga and put a new 24" barrel chambered for 3.5" shells and threaded for choke tubes. I want to put better sights on it, but am having a hard time finding any that will go on a plain barrel. They all seem to attach to the rib. I do not want a red dot or scope of any kind. Does any one have any suggestions on a sight that they have had luck with, or choke tubes that they like?

My favorite turkey gun is a 24" 12 gauge 3 1/2" chamber H&R with screw in chokes. Single barrel and very light with sling, flat black in color. It had poor sights, I mounted tru-glow sights on a piece of popsicle stick painted flat black, epoxied and glued to the barrel. Works great. It took a little while to adjust to desired point of aim. Did this five years ago, no turkey ever saw the bead without being killed.

Comment

One solution is to bring it to a good gunsmith and just have a second bead put in. Double beaded sights will actually give you what you need in terms of turkey hunting, which isn’t pinpoint precision as much as proper alignment (as in making sure that the barrel is straight and level to the target). It is possible to just use a bead sight for turkeys, I have seen it used quite effectively in the field (with that particular model gun as a matter of fact), but you probably want something slightly more reassuring.

Comment

I prefer a simple metal bead. The fiber optics tend to cover up the target.
        This may be partly due to the fact that I wear contacts and the fiber optics cause me to see a starburst on the end of my gun barrel.

Comment

The TruGlu Home Defense sight snaps on to a plain barreled shotgun and costs around $20. They come in red and green.

Comment

I can't help you with the sights because my hi-viz attaches to the barrel. Look at a Comp-in-Choke. Very good choke and well worth the money.

Comment

ive never had an issue killing turkeys with a simple bead , but since turkey hunting is aiming, two beads is preferable for me. ive never fiddled around with different chokes, i have always been pleased with the performance of standard full chokes in my shotguns.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad