Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do most of you like the Remington 870 more than a Mossberg 500.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do most of you like the Remington 870 more than a Mossberg 500.

Why do most of you like the Remington 870 more than a Mossberg 500.

never jams always works plus its cheap

Comment

Faster action better built.

Comment

I own a 500 and the only problem I've ever had is with the cartridge stop which I fixed and it is easy to take apart and clean.

Comment

The action is a lot smoother and faster, never jams, low price and it lasts forever.

Comment

funny you guys are saying never jams as if the 500 always does. Mine never has. Also the 500 along with a Benelli is the only two shotguns that meet military specifications as is not adjustments. So yes in price the 870 may be cheaper but my 500 has never failed and continues to be a battle tested platform. So if its good to take down terrorists a few birds every weekend will be no problem. I have talked to guys that used the 500 in Iraq and say they worked flawlessly. So I will pay a few dollars more and get another 500 when my taxes come back. Plus the safety is right where it belongs. On top.

Comment

I have both and I still prefer my 870. I also have a benelli. I have put 10's of thousands of rounds through all three and when it comes to hunting I almost always grab my 870 for most applications. I like the weight, smoothness, and feel of the 870 over the other three shotguns.

Comment

two*

Comment

AAM

To answer your question, you have to go back some years.

Back in the 50's, THE pump gun of the century (Win M12) became cost prohibitive to manufacture. The Rem 870 had already been on the market for several years and was soon embraced as the "next best thing".
                  Mossberg was a "cheaper" gun. And when I say "cheaper", I mean "REALLY" cheap.
                  The receiver was "pot metal" and parts were "stamped" with a stock that reminded one of a #2 pine 2x4! The receiver was painted because the pot metal would not blue.. I was a cheap piece of crap.

The Rem 870, still had a steel receiver and though they used stamped "guts", it was a higher quality stamped part. Wood fit and finish was very nice

Comment

I like the feel of my 870 more. The 500 is a great gun but I just don't like the way it feels when I hold it.

Comment

I have one of each and a rifled slug barrel for each. Neither of them have ever jammed and I consider both to be reliable and capable of withstanding a little abuse. The 870 cost a little bit more and also seems to be slightly better quality. In terms of performance, there is no difference when using the smooth bore barrels, but for the rifled barrels there is a significant difference - the 870 shoots nice groups and the 500 throws the slugs all over the place - perhaps I could find a brand of slug that the 500 likes, but I've already found one for the 870 so I don't bother.

Comment

I've owned two in my life and had disliked both.These were from the mid '70's. Both had thick pistol grips, ugly wood, cheap metal. I noticed 2 tiny splits(one was almost too small to see) in the barrel just behind the rear sight while hunting deer with the second one. It had all of 10 shots through it. I know that was a freak thing, and that they are much better now, but I don't care for cheaply made firearms. I do know many people that love their mossbergs, and to them, I keep my thoughts to myself.As far as a Remington 870, I'd only want a Wingmaster, if I were to buy one.

Comment

Has to do with perception.
                          Years ago Mossberg's were cheap, that's how they broke into the market.
                          Today's Mossbergs are much much better. They're good enough for our military.
                          Historically Remingtons have held their resale value better than Mossberg.
                          I've owned both and they go bang every time.

Comment

I think it is a Chevy/Ford question. There are enough different styles of each to please everyone and they both shoot. My brother has shot the Mossberg 500 his whole life and I've shot the 870 Wingmaster. The looks of the Wingmaster were what drew me to it originally but its balance and reliability is what caused me to get rid of all my other shotguns. You will be quite happy with either of them in the field and if someone outshoots you it will either be your fault or they are shooting a shotgun that costs around 4 times as much.

Comment

I own both and perfer my 870. The fit and finnish is much better on the 870. The 500 is my slug gun. It has a thumbhole stock (not my choice, it came on the gun and the price was too good to pass up) which makes the placement of the safety kind of a pain. The are both very reliable and it just comes down to personal preference.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad