Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im moving from a 22. to a shotgun do you think a 20gauge is a good beginers gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im moving from a 22. to a shotgun do you think a 20gauge is a good beginers gun?

Im moving from a 22. to a shotgun do you think a 20gauge is a good beginers gun?

Are you talking about for a kid or an adult? What are you plannin on hunting with it also plays a part.4

Comment

I think a 20 gauge would be an ideal choice because of its lighter weight and more moderate recoil. "The twenty is plenty."

Comment

Hi...

A 20-gauge is a fine "beginners" shotgun for most people. Can be used for small game, birds and deer.

My personal preference for squirrels only is a .22, though.

I was very satisfied with the 20-gauge 3-shot Mossberg I used for small game (rabbits/pheasants/ducks), and deer.

Comment

A 20 gauge is a good shotgun period. I have my 20 that I use for deer and I've never had a problem knocking one down with it. I use a 20 wingmaster for pheasants. I've been well satisfied with both.

Comment

Great choice to start with,large range of shells both 2/4 and 3inch both lead and steel shot. Keep ranges 35 40 yards and practice!

Comment

ive been using a 12 gauge since i was 10 and i was a little guy back then but i wasnt wimpy and could handle the recoil of a 2 3/4 or a 3 inch load and ive killed everything from birds to bucks with a 12 ga but thats just me

Comment

The twenty gauge is an excellent gun for beginners and experienced hunters. There are now magnum loads that make it good for turkeys and other game, which was not the case in the past. Whatever you do, don't get a .410.

Comment

Go with the 20 ga and then move up later if you want. If you have a friend with a 12 ga offer to pay for the ammo and see if he will let you put some rounds through it. Personally I still shoot the same 20 ga that I got when I was 12 and I am 55 this year. I also have a 12 ga that I shoot from time to time as well. Good luck and safe hunting.

Comment

20 is a fine choice.

Comment

huntersboy,
                      A 20 ga. is excellant. Get a Rem. 870 youth model, I bought my son one and I use it myself for upland hunting. It's easier to carry than my 870 12ga.
                      A truely wonderful shotgun and great home defense gun to.

Comment

I personally like the 20 gauge youth addition mossberg for small game because of the location of the safety. 20 gauge is the only gun I have ever used its been very successful!

Comment

A 20 gauge is a great choice as a beginners and experienced hunter's gun. It is highly versatile and will take care of the vast majority of your hunting needs.

Comment

I'm buying the choice as an enders gun just not a beginners gun. Mine is easy to carry both slimmer profile, and lighter than a 12 ga. and I can shoot a 12 ga. standard pheasnat load in the gun. Shells are about the same price as a 12 because of all the 20 ga gun sales. But if you hunt waterfowl, the gun is then limited in use...only close in shooting over decoys because the casing won't hold enough of the bigger steel pellets. But for upland birds I will take my 20 ga. over the 12 ga. for effectiveness. Up, and on target faster than my 12 ga guns.

Comment

You can start with it and remain with it. The 20 gauge is a very good choice. My son and I are delighted with our 20 gauge shotguns. My 20 gauge O/U sees more use than my 12 gauge pump!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad