Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a Mossberg 500 be a good all around shotgun? This is for turkey, geese, squirrel, rabbit, self defense, and anything else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jmnyckt
    replied
    I have a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge, I have taken more deer, turkey, ducks, geese, pheasent and etc.... With this shotgun than I have with every gun I own combined. I came into some money and purchased a Browning BPS in 12 gauge, at 20 yards with a modified choke I hit an 8 by 10 piece of paper 14 times. My Mossberg wit number two shot in 20 gauge at 20 yards hit the target 40 times and put the wad almost completely through it. So, my personal opinion, Browning is junk plain and simple, I have yet to hit anything I've fired at with the Browning. But my Mossberg in 20 gauge with the standard barell, and the rifled cantilever scope mount barell has never failed me. I have taken deer at 100 yards in one shot with it, and that's a 20 gauge! Stick with Mossberg, they are inexpensive but the quality is spot on, their customer service is superior. I called Browning about the BPS, they didn't even want to talk to me, plus they want to charge ME to get it looked at, and if there are any problems I have to pay for it, I had a slide arm added to my Mossberg, they paid for shipping BOTH ways, put in the part at NO CHARGE and sent me targets with patterns to prove they tested it. Like I say, with Mossberg you can't go wrong. Anyone want to buy a Browning BPS??

Leave a comment:

• canvasbackhunter
    replied
    I own a mossberg youth 20. Was working perfectly fine untill i outgrew it. I didn't buy another just because i wanted a change up. I still use teh 500 for rabbit. Just cleaned it other day and cleaned out caked mud, feathers, fur, sticks, and hay. Couldn't believe it still worked with that crap in there. I NEVER had a problem with it, and neither has my friends. Inbetween guns, i borrowed my dads 870 wingmaster, also good gun, but i had a few hangups and broken firing pin.

Leave a comment:

• FlyinMonkey
    replied
    It is a great shotgun. Was my first pump action shotgun and used it to kill many deer, squirrels, and rabbits. It was very dependable and has lasted me for about 15 years with no problems.

Leave a comment:

• Live4Bowhunting
    replied
    I've got a 500 that was my first pump gun and is over 30 years old and has never let me down. Use it strictly as a turkey gun now, short barrel with an ATI stock, and busted 3 this year. Was going to NY for the spring season at my brother-n-laws place but that is out now that pistol grip guns are soon to be illegal. Guess my out of state hunting money will go to another state. The 500 is a good choice.

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    Chewielouie, yes the 870 has given me and others a problem in the past. I've only had a problem with mine when shooting light target loads with a small rim. Otherwise it serves me well for deer, turkey and waterfowl. Although I just bought a stoeger 2000 for waterfowl hunting, but that's not because the 870 was giving me problems, I wanted quicker follow up shots for those fast flying ducks. The 870 makes an EXCELLENT slug gun when paired with a rifled barrel and a scope. I'm talking half dollar sized groups at 60 yards. I have no hesitations of shooting at deer at 100+ yards. Every year I get brave and take a long shot with it and so far it's never failed. If you want to know more about the jamming problems you should ask a question directed toward Dcast. I think he could write a book about his bad experiences with his 870.

Leave a comment:

• WVOtter
    replied
    I'd say yes, but I have the 535 because it has the weight of the 500, but is chambered to 3.5" shells. So might get even more flexibility with that. It shot slugs well with a choke, but I got a rifled barrel and am even more pleased with how it shoots sabots.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Mossberg 500's are a good entry level utility shotgun (Never thought you would see WAM state that, huh?) for the money. I have owned two Remington 870's and others who use the 500 experience more issues than I have (zero). Cracked forearms, broken extractors, split barrels, etc. head up the issues that I have seen. Neither of my 870s have experienced any such malfunctions despite hot loads, salt water baths, rain, crappy ammo, freezing weather, muddy Labrador Retrievers, you name it.

Leave a comment:

• Hoski
    replied
    I've owned a 500 since the early 70's, it's never failed to function, and I've put it through some extremes.
    They also seem to be good enough for our military to use.

Leave a comment:

• cb bob
    replied
    My first shot gun was a Mossberg 500. It came with a slug barrel and a field barrel. Yeah, there are plenty of others that will do the same thing, but if the price is right, it's not a bad gun for the money.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    I'm an 870 guy when it comes to pump actions. Although my wife shoots a super Nova. I don't care for the feel of the Mossberg so much, but anything that goes click-click boom is worth the money, just some more so than others. Budget aside most economy shot-guns are rated by personal preference. My wifes super Nova came out of the box making light primer hits and benelli was very good about customer service. I would tend to say Benelli and Remington value their customer relations more than Mossberg but when it comes right down to it, the 500 should serve you for many years if you treat it right.

Leave a comment:

• WILLHAM48
    replied
    Yeah, the Mossberg 500 should cover you for all of the game you listed. All you need is a good set of choke tubes and possibly a rifled barrel for shooting slugs. An 870 is much more attractive in my opinion, and is just as affordable as the 500, and can do any job that the Mossberg can.

Leave a comment:

• ITHACASXS
    replied
    Many folks like and own the 500, and they are used for everything you've metioned. I've never liked them, though my dislike has lessened over the years. I bought one in 1975 (I was 13), I wanted the Ithaca pump on the used gun rack, my dad talked me into the Mossberg. Shooting 3'' anything is no picnic. If I was looking for a brand new pump, it would be a Browning BPS or Remington 870 Wingmaster (never the cheap 870).

Leave a comment:

• fezzant
    replied
    I'm perfectly happy with my Mossberg, but the action on an 870 or on my Winchester 1300 is much smoother.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    I like the light weight for pheasant hunting. For slugs, not so much. Mine has never let me down in the 20 years I've owned it. 870's weigh more and are better for slugs. Mine has a fixed choke though so the Mossberg gets more use due to versatility. Good all around but there are better ones if you specialize. I liked the price and would buy it again.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Yep. A lot of Mossberg 500s are in use for all those purposes. Is it the best? Probably not, but it will get the job done if you do your part.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad