Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a Mossberg 500 be a good all around shotgun? This is for turkey, geese, squirrel, rabbit, self defense, and anything else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a 500 that was my first pump gun and is over 30 years old and has never let me down. Use it strictly as a turkey gun now, short barrel with an ATI stock, and busted 3 this year. Was going to NY for the spring season at my brother-n-laws place but that is out now that pistol grip guns are soon to be illegal. Guess my out of state hunting money will go to another state. The 500 is a good choice.

Comment

It is a great shotgun. Was my first pump action shotgun and used it to kill many deer, squirrels, and rabbits. It was very dependable and has lasted me for about 15 years with no problems.

Comment

I own a mossberg youth 20. Was working perfectly fine untill i outgrew it. I didn't buy another just because i wanted a change up. I still use teh 500 for rabbit. Just cleaned it other day and cleaned out caked mud, feathers, fur, sticks, and hay. Couldn't believe it still worked with that crap in there. I NEVER had a problem with it, and neither has my friends. Inbetween guns, i borrowed my dads 870 wingmaster, also good gun, but i had a few hangups and broken firing pin.

Comment

I have a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge, I have taken more deer, turkey, ducks, geese, pheasent and etc.... With this shotgun than I have with every gun I own combined. I came into some money and purchased a Browning BPS in 12 gauge, at 20 yards with a modified choke I hit an 8 by 10 piece of paper 14 times. My Mossberg wit number two shot in 20 gauge at 20 yards hit the target 40 times and put the wad almost completely through it. So, my personal opinion, Browning is junk plain and simple, I have yet to hit anything I've fired at with the Browning. But my Mossberg in 20 gauge with the standard barell, and the rifled cantilever scope mount barell has never failed me. I have taken deer at 100 yards in one shot with it, and that's a 20 gauge! Stick with Mossberg, they are inexpensive but the quality is spot on, their customer service is superior. I called Browning about the BPS, they didn't even want to talk to me, plus they want to charge ME to get it looked at, and if there are any problems I have to pay for it, I had a slide arm added to my Mossberg, they paid for shipping BOTH ways, put in the part at NO CHARGE and sent me targets with patterns to prove they tested it. Like I say, with Mossberg you can't go wrong. Anyone want to buy a Browning BPS??

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad