Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a Mossberg 500 be a good all around shotgun? This is for turkey, geese, squirrel, rabbit, self defense, and anything else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a Mossberg 500 be a good all around shotgun? This is for turkey, geese, squirrel, rabbit, self defense, and anything else

Would a Mossberg 500 be a good all around shotgun? This is for turkey, geese, squirrel, rabbit, self defense, and anything else that you can use a shotgun for.

I dont really like Mossberg's. I'd go with a remington 870, but thats just my opinion.But a Mossburg 500 would be a good all around shotgun.I think any pump action 12 gauge is good.

Comment

Affirmative. There are those who turn up their noses at economy grade shotguns, but the Mossberg Model 500 is a good value for the money, and in 12 gauge it is a good choice for an all-around shotgun.

Comment

I thought the 870's weren't as good as they used to be. Like, they had jamming problems and stuff. Is this true?

Comment

Yep. A lot of Mossberg 500s are in use for all those purposes. Is it the best? Probably not, but it will get the job done if you do your part.

Comment

I like the light weight for pheasant hunting. For slugs, not so much. Mine has never let me down in the 20 years I've owned it. 870's weigh more and are better for slugs. Mine has a fixed choke though so the Mossberg gets more use due to versatility. Good all around but there are better ones if you specialize. I liked the price and would buy it again.

Comment

I'm perfectly happy with my Mossberg, but the action on an 870 or on my Winchester 1300 is much smoother.

Comment

Many folks like and own the 500, and they are used for everything you've metioned. I've never liked them, though my dislike has lessened over the years. I bought one in 1975 (I was 13), I wanted the Ithaca pump on the used gun rack, my dad talked me into the Mossberg. Shooting 3'' anything is no picnic. If I was looking for a brand new pump, it would be a Browning BPS or Remington 870 Wingmaster (never the cheap 870).

Comment

Yeah, the Mossberg 500 should cover you for all of the game you listed. All you need is a good set of choke tubes and possibly a rifled barrel for shooting slugs. An 870 is much more attractive in my opinion, and is just as affordable as the 500, and can do any job that the Mossberg can.

Comment

I'm an 870 guy when it comes to pump actions. Although my wife shoots a super Nova. I don't care for the feel of the Mossberg so much, but anything that goes click-click boom is worth the money, just some more so than others. Budget aside most economy shot-guns are rated by personal preference. My wifes super Nova came out of the box making light primer hits and benelli was very good about customer service. I would tend to say Benelli and Remington value their customer relations more than Mossberg but when it comes right down to it, the 500 should serve you for many years if you treat it right.

Comment

My first shot gun was a Mossberg 500. It came with a slug barrel and a field barrel. Yeah, there are plenty of others that will do the same thing, but if the price is right, it's not a bad gun for the money.

Comment

I've owned a 500 since the early 70's, it's never failed to function, and I've put it through some extremes.
                        They also seem to be good enough for our military to use.

Comment

Mossberg 500's are a good entry level utility shotgun (Never thought you would see WAM state that, huh?) for the money. I have owned two Remington 870's and others who use the 500 experience more issues than I have (zero). Cracked forearms, broken extractors, split barrels, etc. head up the issues that I have seen. Neither of my 870s have experienced any such malfunctions despite hot loads, salt water baths, rain, crappy ammo, freezing weather, muddy Labrador Retrievers, you name it.

Comment

I'd say yes, but I have the 535 because it has the weight of the 500, but is chambered to 3.5" shells. So might get even more flexibility with that. It shot slugs well with a choke, but I got a rifled barrel and am even more pleased with how it shoots sabots.

Comment

Chewielouie, yes the 870 has given me and others a problem in the past. I've only had a problem with mine when shooting light target loads with a small rim. Otherwise it serves me well for deer, turkey and waterfowl. Although I just bought a stoeger 2000 for waterfowl hunting, but that's not because the 870 was giving me problems, I wanted quicker follow up shots for those fast flying ducks. The 870 makes an EXCELLENT slug gun when paired with a rifled barrel and a scope. I'm talking half dollar sized groups at 60 yards. I have no hesitations of shooting at deer at 100+ yards. Every year I get brave and take a long shot with it and so far it's never failed. If you want to know more about the jamming problems you should ask a question directed toward Dcast. I think he could write a book about his bad experiences with his 870.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad