Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most waterfowl shotguns that I see have very long barrels, does a longer barrel tighten the pattern and/or extend range? If so,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vasportsman
    replied
    Thanks all, interesting discussion.

Leave a comment:

• ITHACASXS
    replied
    A side note: if you are in a small waterfowl blind with another shooter, a short barrel is most unpleasant for ones eardrums, even with earplugs.

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    No, barrel length has little to do with how a shotgun patterns. It has more to do with how one "swings". A shorter barrel is going to be a bit choppy, or not quite under controll when swung. A longer barrel will swing much smoother. It shows up a lot more on a trap or skeet field than in a duck blind. It really depends on the shooters preference. I know waterfowlers who like a 26" barrel because the choppiness you might see on a trap field can translate into maneuverability in the field. Most waterfowl guns have a 28" barrel, I suppose its because its the best of both worlds. I shoot an 870 as well as a stoeger 2000 for waterfowl, both have a 28" barrel. For singles and handicap trap I shoot a BT-99 with a 34" barrel and a Citori with a 30" barrel for doubles.

Also, as you may have already assumed, there is no need for a longer barrel on a turkey gun because they are usually shot at stationary targets. Like Josh said. A shorter turkey barrel does better in thick brush.

Leave a comment:

• Josh Giannino
    replied
    Turkey guns usually have short barrels so its easier to move threw thick brush, and tight quarters.

Leave a comment:

• Most waterfowl shotguns that I see have very long barrels, does a longer barrel tighten the pattern and/or extend range? If so,

Most waterfowl shotguns that I see have very long barrels, does a longer barrel tighten the pattern and/or extend range? If so, why do turkey designed shotguns usually have shorter barrels?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad