Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H&r pardner 12g single shot modified choke 26inch barrel. That is the gun I just bought for 100$ is it a good gun? Will the barr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&r pardner 12g single shot modified choke 26inch barrel. That is the gun I just bought for 100$ is it a good gun? Will the barr

H&r; pardner 12g single shot modified choke 26inch barrel. That is the gun I just bought for 100$ is it a good gun? Will the barrel work for duck. It is a fixed choke. I would love for this gun to be used for everything from turkey to deer and duck. Am I expecting to much?

The gun will work fine. You can also get other barrels for it. Look on e-bay and check H&R1871.com to see what barrels are available for that receiver. Any additional barrel should be fitted by a gunsmith.

Comment

Think you got a good deal. You can do everything with it. Make sure the fixed choke barrel can handle steel. If not, you might have to spring for Tungsten loads.

Comment

You got a good deal. However, I wouldn't use it for ducks just because of the lack of a quick second shot. For deer, turkey, all small game, and even bear, though, this gun can get it done. I know from experience that this is a great gun, because I own one exactly like it. Also, like stated above, shooting steel through it wouldn't be wise.

Comment

May wanna look for a full choked barrel for turkey, my prefernece to use a tighter choke when hunting them. but I use a H&R single shot 20 for grouse, so quick fallow ups are just a means of practicing, my Dad introduced me a long time ago to an old timer who use to shoot a single shot near as fast as my Dad with his 870 ( and my Dad has been no to shoot faster then a semi)

Comment

It will get you by for everything if you want it to and don't mind the single shot limitation. It will, however, hammer you with recoil if you shoot heavy loads out of it.

You will find premium turkey loads with small shot (Hevi13, Federal Heavyweight in 6 and 7) give good turkey killing patterns with it, too.

Comment

pb

Nice to see you wandering around back here with the "common" folk! LOL!!

I started out with a Savage 20ga single shot! If it was legal game and came within range, it more often than not left the area in my game pouch!
              As I got older and watched the older guys with their pumps and auto loaders and stuffed game bags, I wanted to be like them. Sad mistake! My shooting average went down the tubes!
              Beware of a hungry hunter with a single shot! Seldom does he miss or waste ammo!! LOL!!

Comment

so the only cons people are saying are lots of recoil. no quick follow up shot.with out practice, and no steel shot. i dont see any where where it says no steel shot how would.i find that out. whats the.deal.with.the barrels? i send my gun in tell them what i want they put a new barrel on and send me my gun and old barrel back? could i then switch back and forth between barrels? to help with the recoil could i put a rubber butt pad on it? i should be fine with the.recoil. but my gf and nephews wont be.

Comment

samsonjohn

Recoil is a relative thing. It's eats some folks lunch (ME!) and others it's just part of the game and then there are those sadists who just don't seem to care! LOL!!
                  With what you describe, I'd start out with just some low brass field loads. You can get them at Wally World. YES! They will have lead shot, but as long as you're not hunting water fowl, it's not a problem. That is, unless YOU just don't want to shoot lead!
                  As far as a "second" barrel? As far as an H&R goes, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new, upgraded H&R that will handle steel shot!
                  Follow up shots!
                  Practice! Practice! Practice!
                  Keep a couple of rounds between the fingers of your trigger hand. That's the one that opens the gun. That way you're not fishing for rounds, they're already in your loading hand. If I felt the action was going to get hot, I'd stash two or three between my forward gun hand. That's even closer than digging them out of your ammo pouch!
                  Even a slip on butt pad would help if recoil is a problem.

Funny story!
                  Dan had an old 12 bore long tom with a 32" barrel! From the age of 8, he'd win the family a turkey at the T'giving turkey shoot each year. They had a card about the size of a playing card with a red star in the center. The card with the most shot in the star won. Dan's card was always the one with NO STAR LEFT!
                  I don't know how that thing was choked, but at 25 yards, it took the center OUT of the card! About the third or fourth turkey, when Dan showed up, they just gave him a turkey and sent him on his way! LOL!!! ....and yes, after the first time, they made him shoot THEIR ammo! Made no difference! The star was still GONE!!!

Comment

thank you guys. i am super happy with it. i would have prefered a 28 inch or longer barrel and interchangeable chokes but i got the fun for a steal. i will just have to see how things go. i hope this gun will be able to handle any of.the.hunts i want to do. are there any pros to having the shorter barrel?

Comment

besides steel shot is there any other shot size/style i should not shoot? through the gun

Comment

On your H&R 12Ga This is Old School from an Ol'Guy look in to having a Poly-Choke System installed by a Gunsmith you can change the choke setting with a twist of your hand from X-full for Ducks & Turkey to cylinder Bore(slug)for deer...all for under $100.+/-
                        best of luck.

Comment

thanks for the help and answers. i just fot off the phone with h&r to adress thesteel shot concerns. they said there barrels. are made with steel shot in mind. cool!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad