Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was just given a Winchester 101 O/U. The gun was bought in the early to mid 1970's. Am I able to use steel shot in this gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just given a Winchester 101 O/U. The gun was bought in the early to mid 1970's. Am I able to use steel shot in this gun?

I was just given a Winchester 101 O/U. The gun was bought in the early to mid 1970's. Am I able to use steel shot in this gun? If not, are there any alternatives? A friend told me about Bismuth but not sure if it's still being sold.

It depends on your choke anything much tighter than a modified cylinder you will starts to have promblems there are some steel shot alternatives but you would have to check the hardness scale for the metals used to determine the right one. good luck out there

Comment

You can getaway shootin steel 4s out of a full choke but I would'nt do it all the time. If you can not find Bismuth or Bismaxx I would get some Kent Matrix for waterfowl.

Comment

Not sure about the shotgun, wait for more posts/call gunsmith(local). Tungsten is an alternative.

Comment

As long as it is not a fixed full choke, you should be fine. Improved Modified and looser and you should be fine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Gun safe
            by jhjimbo
            This is the F&S magazine site, not the Field and Stream store....
            Today, 09:05 PM
          • Gun safe
            by Swenthms
            Problem opening my gun safe
            Today, 08:58 PM
          • Reply to 16 Years
            by 99explorer
            Honker -
            The print media has been suffering for years.
            Desperate times, desperate measures.
            Today, 08:50 PM
          • 16 Years
            by jhjimbo
            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
            08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
          • Reply to 16 Years
            by jhjimbo
            PH, When you have some idle time in your brain see if you can come up with a design for an accessory for a VOM meter that would hold the leads in a neat...
            Today, 07:36 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X