Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a savage/stevens 12 gauge, and i'm not sure what type of choke is on it, how can i find out? Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a savage/stevens 12 gauge, and i'm not sure what type of choke is on it, how can i find out? Thanks

I have a savage/stevens 12 gauge, and i'm not sure what type of choke is on it, how can i find out? Thanks

On most old guns it will say right on the barrel just forward of the reciever. An old timer's trick was to see if a dime would fit inside the muzzle. If not that should be full choke. If it does fit something else probably modified or IC.

Comment

Go to the gun store or a gunsmith, they have choke gauges.

Comment

Del, it has a air cooler vent type thing on the end to cool down the barrel my dad told me, will that affect the dime trick?

Comment

don't they have it engraved into the outside of the choke? i would just take the choke out and inspect it.

Comment

a muzzle break? on a shotgun?

Comment

i did a close inspection of the muzzle breaker thing and i found that it is savage super choke, and i've looked online but haven't found anything, but what is/does super choke mean

Comment

A caliper will tell you the diameter and you can look up the corresponding constriction and determine the choke.

Comment

Does the super choke screw in or out? If so that would be a polly choke that used to be popular with the old timers. If not then use a caliper as described above and look up the constriction for Gauge and you'll have it.

Comment

i don't think that it screws out, because the bead is on the super choke/muzzle break thing

Comment

OK here is what you should do. Take the gun to a gunsmith and have it checked out before you shoot it. He can also tell you what you have with the choke. Keep in mind choke constriction is designed to get a certain pattern density at a given range. In other words sometimes a gun that is choked modified will actually shoot something else for example a full choke pattern. The ammo used also has some effect on the pattern achieved. Like Cpt brad said you may have an adjustable choke. If so it can be set on anything from cylinder to extra-full. Again have it checked by a gunsmith. That is the only way to find out what you have and if it is safe for certain.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad