Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you buy a box of shotgun shells, what does Max. Dr. Eq. mean? I think it stands for Maximum dram equivalent, but I have no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you buy a box of shotgun shells, what does Max. Dr. Eq. mean? I think it stands for Maximum dram equivalent, but I have no

When you buy a box of shotgun shells, what does Max. Dr. Eq. mean? I think it stands for Maximum dram equivalent, but I have no idea what that is referring to.

Drams Equivalent is a measure of how much powder is in there. It refers to the corresponding amount of blackpowder in drams it would take to get the velocity you're getting with the given load from the smokeless that's in there. Max means that there's as much as they can safely stuff in there.

Comment

PS...don't anybody go stuffing 3 drams of smokeless in anything. You'll blow something up bigtime.

Comment

Shane is right that's an old term that refers to black powder ammo. All ammo has SAAMI specs for pressure and max means that is where it's at pressurewise. BTW I believe 3.5 inch 12 guage ammo has higher pressure specs than 10 or the other 12 ga size ammo.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was just curious.

Comment

You're right, Del. The big 12's are nastier and hotter than anything else.

Comment

POWDER MEASURE!

Comment

Outdated but still quaint tie to the past. Drams were used to measure black powder (usually stated in 1/4 drams). Shotgunners knew what velocity to expect by the number of drams in a load. It was difficult to relate to the the new smokeless loads, so dram equivalent was introduced to relate the velocities of smokeless powder to the velocities of specific loads of black powder.

Maximum dram equivalents might have been meaningful when, for instance, 3-3/4 drams was considered a max load for standard 2-3/4" 12 ga. But some 2-3/4" shells are getting up to 4-1/2 DE nowadays. Makes "max" kind of arbitrary. I don't think there is an industry standard for "max" so it is best to compare velocities, if available.

Comment

You guys are right and I see no need in todays world and times to include drams into the shotgun shell equation.. Why shouldn't the shotshell manufacturers just eliminate it?

Comment

Maybe it is Max Dr. Evil. Just kidding. But my guess is as good as yours.

Comment

It's a nebulous comparison to how many drams of black powder the smokeless load is equivalent to. People get a feel for what they like and look for it. They could change it to "Shoulder Whacking Index" and it would be just as meaningful, but nobody would know what that was, so they stick with DR EQ

Comment

It means nothing. There never was a standard for black powder. Nobody ever divulged their formula, and I doubt that there were rigid standards for producing the constituent chemicals. So how can we know how much nitrocellulose is its equivalent? This is coming from an old black powder shooter who has studied this extensively. I read a book on E.I. DuPont de nemours (or however it is spelled). They used to hang the doors of their factory on shear pins. Just pick up the bodies outdoors and bring in the next crew!Most manufacturers have started advertising "Feet per second". This better, but not valid for differing autoloaders. Best thing you can do is try a few and see what you like. You will find something that works with your lead and swing. I like the ones loaded for 1,300 and above.

Comment

Agreed with shane answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

jim in mo!! the reason we need the dram eq on the box these days are for semi auto shotgunners like myself. i have a semi auto 3 inch magnum 12 gauge and if i dont have at least 4 dram eq its not enough to cycle my rounds.i cant just go buy the cheap stuff in bulk at walmart i need high brass load or magnums.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                              by PigHunter
                              Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                              Today, 06:35 PM
                            • Handgun Laser Sights
                              by PigHunter
                              On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                              08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                              by PigHunter
                              Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                              Today, 06:32 PM
                              by PigHunter
                              I know how you feel. There's no way I'b bet my life on a conceal carry without ever firing it. Just this morning, PigHuntress told me she'd been practicing...
                              Today, 06:27 PM
                            • Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                              by Solitario Lupo
                              Jimbo I dont really go for eyes on Erie but that is impressive almost 80 degrees on top and in that depths wonder how cold it gets in that thermocline....
                              Today, 06:16 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X