Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple question from an amateur. Need an affordable shotgun for home invasion protection. 20" barrel, 18"? ... 5 shell capacity,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• art6555
    replied
    I know this is an old subject, but I bought a Mossberg youth model in 20 ga, it has a short bbl with interchangeable chokes. Right now it is loaded with Winchester Heavy Game #4 shot with a modified choke. It cost approximately $250 and my 115 pound wife can shoot it all day long. With the choke in there the patterns are nice n tight at fighting ranges. (You can get it in pink there but I just couldn't do that). It also comes in 410.

Leave a comment:

• art6555
    replied
    I know this is an old subject, but I bought a Mossberg youth model in 20 ga, it has a short bbl with interchangeable chokes. Right now it is loaded with Winchester Heavy Game #4 shot with a modified choke. It cost approximately $250 and my 115 pound wife can shoot it all day long. With the choke in there the patterns are nice n tight at fighting ranges. (You can get it in pink there but I just couldn't do that).

Leave a comment:

• wp
    replied
    If your wife will be using the gun as well, it may be a good idea to get a gun with an adjustable stock. These can be purchased aftermarket, I believe Blackhawk makes one with a recoil reducer as well. A youth model would also work. I would stick with a 12 or 20 gauge pump like a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 or 590. As for shot size, I would use #4s as they will be less likely to over-penetrate than buckshot or slugs. Something to consider with family members and or neighbors just a few layers of wallboard away. At typical home defense ranges, a shot load will be all together, and will impact as one solid mass, spreading out as it penetrates, so as far as effectiveness, shot size isn't as critical as one might think. Capacity is less of a concern than barrel length. Shorter barrels are easier to maneuver in tight spaces like hallways and stairs, and are also harder for an assailant to grab and take away. A flashlight attachment might not be a bad thing either. You can't hit what you can't see, and you definitely need to identify your target.

Leave a comment:

• thughes1133
    replied
    Most affordable - H&R Pardner Pump shotgun in 20 gauge. You can use #2 or #4 shot, or slugs or buckshot too. Like Carl above stated, when cycling the pump on a shotgun, that alone should be a home invasion deterrent. Anyone who keeps coming after hearing that needs to go down as they mean you harm.

Leave a comment:

• Steelheader68
    replied
    Two things to take seriously. First and foremost, whatever you decide to buy, make sure you spend significant time familiarizing yourself with the weapon and that includes your wife. This means also talking through scenarios, identifying targets beforehand, and only pulling the trigger when you are certain of the target. Second, look at the layout of your home to help determine your weapon needs. Long hallways and big open rooms would be conducive to a shotgun. But tight spaces and small areas might be better suited for a pistol. Bond Arms out of Texas makes a nifty derringer style pistol that can shoot both .45 long and .410, both of which would do the job in close quarters.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    For home defense shotshells I would just get some birdshot, #5 will do. Or if you really want to get fancy get some Winchester Blind Sides in #2, that will really put a smackdown on someone and wont go trough all of your walls like buckshot.

Leave a comment:

• jamesti
    replied
    you can shoot someone from 10 feet with a 410 and their plans will change or end rather quickly! just something about it hitting them in the face or chest plus the boom in the dark will make them run or just fall! think about if it was you who was shot! a 410 has almost no recoil, but in the dark with sudden noise and a serious wound to the face or just no face at all your problem might just be solved. just make sure to practice with the family until they are comfortable with it. in the winter i would go with something more powerful. folks wear heavier clothes at that time.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Smith
    replied
    If you live near a Dunham's Sporting Goods store check out the Mossburg special purpose 12 Ga. I bought one and love it! Costs around 275.00 That or Taurus makes a .410 pistol called the judge and many shell companies are making home defense loads just for .410! This would be a little handier for the wife and just as lethal!

Leave a comment:

• tneal1987
    replied
    mossberg pump home defense gun, holds 8 rounds and is an easy shooter at a good price.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    For your wife's sake, you might consider a 20 gauge pump with #3 buck or even bird shot. The recoil will be less. At home protection ranges, #4 shot will still deliver a mighty punch and will reduce the chance of collateral damage from shooting through all the interior walls of the house like heavy buckshot. Check out Mossberg shotguns.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    The most reasonably priced is probably a used police pump action 12 gauge. If your wife is going to use it stay away from a pistol grip. The pump gun makes a noise when racked that circumvents all languages. You might want to load the first round to be cycled with a non lethal round. The rest 00 buck. The purpose of the non lethal first is obvious. Most good people hesitate to take a life and then there is friendly fire when your sneaking in late. A rubber bullet will just make them wish they were dead.

Leave a comment:

• Simple question from an amateur. Need an affordable shotgun for home invasion protection. 20" barrel, 18"? ... 5 shell capacity,

Simple question from an amateur. Need an affordable shotgun for home invasion protection. 20" barrel, 18"? ... 5 shell capacity, 8 shell? Bird shot, Buck shot? Laser attachment? Something I can teach my wife to shoot. This is for protection only not sport. ThankYou, - dan

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad