Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone have a side-by-side gun? what are your thoughts on it? would you reccomend one to someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone have a side-by-side gun? what are your thoughts on it? would you reccomend one to someone?

does anyone have a side-by-side gun? what are your thoughts on it? would you reccomend one to someone?

Bobby, you need to be more specific. Are discussing side by side shotguns or side by side rifles?

Comment

I have a Lafever Nitro special 12 ga. from the 30s my grandpa gave me. Its heavy as hell but it has 2 beads made of real IVORY, the front one broke off and a gunsmith put a larger one on it and it makes a great trap gun. Wouldnt trade it for my life.

Comment

I used to have a SxS that I'd love to have back. Recommending one to someone would depend on what they wanted the gun for. Lately they are becoming more difficult to find new. I see used ones all the time at the Mom and Pops and shows. I think decent quality sporting SxS's are getting expensive so I'd probably get an O/U.

Comment

Side by side anythings are sweet. I have a SxS shotgun and love it to death, but I can't afford a double rifle. I would kill to have one, though.

Comment

I love a SxS. It's the only kind of shotgun that I'm good at shooting. It really is a shame of the high prices on todays doubles. There are just no beater guns like the old Stevens 311 beig made that you could just go out and have fun with.

Comment

I used to shoot a side by side shotgun... I always felt that it gave me a better sight picture for rapidly moving game like rabbits and quail in the brush. That big V between the barrels let you know for sure that the target is locked in. I personally like the side by side better than the over/under for that reason. I only quit using it because of the desire for more shots ready to go for upland game hunting. I have used rounds 3,4 and 5 many a time. I hunted beside a buddy that always used a double barrel... he was fine for the first two shots, but he never got four or five pheasants or quail in a burst.

Comment

Killed my first goose with my grandpas Charlesdaley sxs, then I picked up 2 M 21 Win and have shot tons of upland game with the Daley if you can find one I would buy it at a good price dont shoot the 21s much cost to damn much but if your looking at buying a sxs go onto Czs web site they make a hell of gun at a resuniable price the site is Cz usa.com. hope this helps

Comment

I'd recommend one. They make me smile. More than just nostalgia. A fine SxS shotgun is excellent for birds. Quick handling and easy to carry. Shorter overall length (OAL) due to short action.

Can get double triggers, which I prefer over selectors. Not many double triggers on over/unders these days (I'd love to get my hands on a Browning Superposed double or twin double trigger). Some people like English straight stocks for supposedly quicker handling and easier use with double triggers. Others like the control of a pistol grip. Normally set up with a different choke in each barrel.

Comment

Love to look at 'em can't hit a thing with 'em.

Comment

MLH - agreed on the double triggers. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment

I'm like Del in that I think a 20 or 16 ga S X S is one of the most beautiful shotguns ever created. Much better lines than say my old Auto-5. However usually when I throw one up all I can look at is the barrels. Must be a mental thing. The exception is my bird hunting friend's new Connecticut RBL20 which is absolutely the best upland gun I have ever used. I can even kill pheasants and chukars with it like it has radar. It might the only S X S for which I can make that statement.

Comment

Another thought is that for the money those Turkish Hugleys (sp?) which I believe are the CZ guns that idduckhntr refered to look really good. A neighbor toured the factory while working in Turkey and was impressed with the facility, the techniques, and the employees. He bought 3 or 4 of the guns but I have not had a chance to shoot them. One of his twelves has double triggers but I think the others are single including a light weight 20 ga stocked English style.

Comment

I shoot an old Fox Sterlingworth 12 gauge. I have a few over/under Brownings too. The concept is the same when it comes to shooting any shotgun. Having said that, sXs are cool and I love mine. But I'm a gun nut and I love 'em all. You won't know if you like a side by side unless you try one. But you gotta do them justice and get a decent one. Don't buy one of the cheaper old Aerican hardware store guns unless you have it proofed. They can be dangerous to shoot. American guns can be good, just make sure you know what you have before you pull the trigger.

Comment

Opinions vary. When I was a little boy, I had a neighbor who was World Champion Skeet Shooter for two years running. He shot beautiful engraved european handmade SXS hammer guns. I've seen people go all day at trap ranges without missing. I have a beautiful Remington 1889 SXS hammer gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad