Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the advantages of an over under shotgun rather than a pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are the advantages of an over under shotgun rather than a pump?

what are the advantages of an over under shotgun rather than a pump?

they do cost more and you do only get two shots. but they're beautiful guns

Comment

The main advantages are that they cost more and you only get two shots

Comment

I have never been able to afford one but the guys I know that shoot them like the fact that you can put different chokes in the two barrels for skeet and hunting when the follow up shot is at a longer range.

Comment

Uh Lighter? No plugs? Game Warden doesn't mess with guys with O/U as much???

Comment

Easy to see when they are safe ... if it's broke open and there are no shells in the chambers it is safe. Harder to see on non-break actions. Notice that shooters on shotgun courses carry their open doubles on their shoulders with barrels pointed down.

Shorter overall length for barrel length. As chuckles says ... I like the two choke option the best. I sometimes load spreader loads (controversial) for my first shot out of a pump for grouse because of the single choke.

Comment

The lighter weight allows you to get on your target quicker than with a pump and if you need the 2nd shot you can quickly fire it. Only having 2 shots makes you alittle more precise with your shot selection, you can't just start shooting because you know that you have 4 more shells to shot.
              There are some good quality O/U's out there that don't cost as much as an auto.

Comment

2 very quick shots, 2 chokes available at once, 2 different loads available at once, point better, look better, shorter.

Comment

Working the Pump action may take you off target. No such problem with the O/U, and the choke options make it versataille.

Comment

All of the above plus the action is much shorter. Also if Turkey hunting you have two fast shots without having to move by pumping.

Comment

My O/U handles better than any pump I have ever shot, I just shoot it better than my BPS so I use it for everything, rabbits, ducks, geese, pheasants, everything. The way it shoots is its main advantage.

Comment

2 shots with 2 diff chokes, great for skeet, dove or quail.i agree with [shane].i have pump,auto and o/u-i use all, but i really like my stoeger and winchester 100 select

Comment

The main advantage to me is dependability. There isn't much that can go wrong with a pump but there's even less with an o/u or sxs. The main reason I bought one was one rainy day shooting sporting clays in Virginia with my semi auto. The action started acting like I shoved 10 pieces of bubble gum in it after about 100 shots. Moved to o/u, never had the problem again. However, I still do all my shotgun hunting with my good old Mossberg 835 Ultimag. Never failed me yet.

Comment

O/u who needs more than 2 shot. My 870 has been a single shot for many years. Anything more is window dressing.

Comment

With the exception of a Model 12 Winchester they tend to have better balance. You can choose between chokes on distant or closer birds. They are cool. Don't get me wrong, I shoot pumps a good bit, but I love my Brownings for dove hunting and clay shooting. When it comes to hunting ducks and getting nasty, give me my 870.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X