Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently inherited a Springfield/Stevens 20ga SXS Model 5000. I know it was made between 1920 and 1930 but not much more. Is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently inherited a Springfield/Stevens 20ga SXS Model 5000. I know it was made between 1920 and 1930 but not much more. Is

I recently inherited a Springfield/Stevens 20ga SXS Model 5000. I know it was made between 1920 and 1930 but not much more. Is it a "collectable" or just an old gun? Any further info will be greatly appreciated,

Not sure why no one is answering your questions so I will try to point you in some direction.

Stevens shotguns are typically basic functional working tools. With a few exceptions, these types of guns are not highly collectible. Unless in perfect original condition, NIB (New in Box), in a rare caliber, or equipped with some unique feature, the dollar value is fairly low. Unless it is unique, someone looking for one now would probably be looking for a usable field gun rather than collector piece.

I'd suggest asking these questions on a gun-specific site like gunbroker.com, but be prepared to provide NRA or percent (%) condition. If you google search for "NRA gun condition" you should get a couple of links to help determine condition. I'd also provide a digital picture or two. You might even run into a Stevens expert that can answer all your questions. I hope this helps.

You should take it to a gunsmith to see if it is in serviceable condition before shooting it.

Comment

Check out this forum ...

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/archive/index.php

Comment

The Stevens are an American made gun that were common during the depression era. They were tools and not much else. Having said that, a gun is worth what you think it's worth. Just be sure you know what the chamber lenths are and have someone proof it if you are going to shoot it. The old guns can be dangerous with modern ammo.

Comment

Agreed with MLH answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad