Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking to buy a remington 870 express magnum 12 gauge. The local sport shop has an older one in nice shape for $185 or i c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking to buy a remington 870 express magnum 12 gauge. The local sport shop has an older one in nice shape for $185 or i c

I am looking to buy a remington 870 express magnum 12 gauge. The local sport shop has an older one in nice shape for $185 or i can get a new one for $230-240 my buddy says that new 870s are garbage is this true? Should i buy the old one or a new one? Thanks!

The 870 are great guns, I would find a nice used 870 wingmaster instead of and 870 express, some people have had some problems with the express, but still no reason not to get one they are great guns.

Comment

870's are great shotguns, work horses. buy one

Comment

There is no diference between the Wingmaster and Express except for polish, blueing, and exterior finish. You know not of what you speak. If you can save $50, buy the used one if it shows no signs of real wear.

Comment

Have had 870s for 30+yrs. Will have 870s till I die! They are workhorses of the gun world.

Comment

if the older one has been relatively well cared for, go for that one. either way, i think you will be happy. some of the best shotguns ever made.

Comment

I have never had any issues with a 870 in my life. If the older one is in good shape get it!

Comment

I've talked to a a gunsmith in a gun store and he said that about one in five Remington shotguns come back. They don't work strait out of the box.I would try to fing one used in great condition. That way you'd be sure it works and its a lot cheaper.

Comment

I don't know anything bad about the newer models, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for older used guns. Even without the cost savings, I'd be leaning toward the used one. It's "broken in." Either way, I wish you good luck with your choice.

Comment

I have a Wingmaster in 16 Ga that was made in 1961, never had a problem with it.

Comment

We counted between two buddies and myself we have 7 remington 870's, nuff said. I would go used, I feel that the older stuff was manufactured in a time when quailty was put before profit.

Comment

older

Comment

in our deer camp, almost every gun is a remington and the majority are 870's. one of the 870's is an older model and it sprays slugs and doesn't pattern well with shot. however, the newer models are tack drivers with slugs and pattern well with shot. i'm sure that his doesn't have to do with the receiver or action, it probably has to do with how the barrels were made. you could buy the used and possibly have to buy a new barrel or buy new and you're set. so in the end, we're looking at six of one and a half a dozen of another.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad