Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shotgun Scopes: i have a benelli nova that i will be using for turkey, deer, and waterfowl, along with any other small game that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun Scopes: i have a benelli nova that i will be using for turkey, deer, and waterfowl, along with any other small game that

Shotgun Scopes: i have a benelli nova that i will be using for turkey, deer, and waterfowl, along with any other small game that should pass. my question is for all you experienced gunhands out there, is it worth it to scope it? a low power scope or reddot? if so what would you recommend. i believe my nova takes a weaver 423m style base, is that better than a saddle mount such as the B-square? any help would be awesome.

I like a scope on my shotgun for big game, I just feel more comfortable and confident shooting deer through a scope. I would never use a scope or red dot for water fowling or any other small game. I have never used a scope or red dot for turkey and see no reason to, but that is just my opinion on the subject. I use a B-square saddle mount on my 870 because i didn't want to have it drilled and tapped for mounts, I see no reason to use a saddle mount if your gun can handle a different mount.

Comment

I like a scope on my shotgun for big game, I just feel more comfortable and confident shooting deer through a scope. I would never use a scope or red dot for water fowling or any other small game. I have never used a scope or red dot for turkey and see no reason to, but that is just my opinion on the subject. I use a B-square saddle mount on my 870 because i didn't want to have it drilled and tapped for mounts, I see no reason to use a saddle mount if your gun can handle a different mount.

Comment

“NOVA” I believe it’s in Spanish means “NO GO”!
        Chevy had to rename the car there

Comment

Golfing Sportsman,
          Thanks for your input, i know enough not to scope a gun for waterfowl or small game, I was intending the scope for deer definitely, and was inquiring into its use for turkeys.

Comment

I like red dots for turkeys. It allows you to follow the deer/turkey with both eyes open... more easily than with a scope. A scope is un-necessary because of the range of a shotgun. Unless you have some ammunition with some extended range, a scope is really not needed at all.

Comment

a scope would be really handy for turkey and larger game

but you could not upland or wing shoot with it with a scope

i would look into a quick detach mount for it

Comment

alright, so supposing i go that route.. what are some good quality red dots for gobblers and deer?

Comment

Have you read this article. "Why put a scope on your turkey gun"

http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/57066

Has some tips on scopes. The author favors a scope over a red dot.

Comment

Thanks rwk,
                    i had read that and found it helpful.

if anyone else is in my position, here is another pretty good article, though a few years old.

http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/article/Seeing_Red/

Comment

I have a tru glo gobble stoper red dot for for my super nova it works awsome for turkey hunting it cost me $80 plus the B-Square saddle mount but It was worth every penny. It tells you when the turkeys are at 50 and 30 yards and also has a flip of the switch red or green light option plus back up battery built into the scope cap. For water foul I would definitly go open sight and for big game go with a normal scope with slugs and rifled barrel.

Comment

Agreed with Golfing Sportsman answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad