Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've all read about the Tar-hunt slug gun in the magazine, but does anybody have any experience with other purpose built slug g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've all read about the Tar-hunt slug gun in the magazine, but does anybody have any experience with other purpose built slug g

We've all read about the Tar-hunt slug gun in the magazine, but does anybody have any experience with other purpose built slug guns like Savage's or any others? What's out there? What kind of accuracy are they giving you? How far do you think these guns push the effective range of slug hunting? Do you think they take any given load and shoot it better, or do you think they are more to take advantage of the newest "long range"/high velocity/high accuracy loads?

I don't know much about the Savage slugger but am thinking of buying one, so i'm gonna look into it. Savage has a reputation for affordable accurracy. Also Savages new Muzzleloader is supposed to be top notch. I'll probably get one or the other, not both, unfortunately.

Comment

I think these guns put your range out to 150 or so. Maybe a sliver more.

Comment

I have a browning A-bolt shotgun, fully rifled barrel. I shoot 3 inch winchester sabots; which I believe are about the cheapest sabot slugs you can buy.

The gun is the best gun purchase as far as impact I have ever made. I used to shoot a Remington 870 with a slug barrel. 100 yards was pushing it for the gun. I can get about 180 yards out of the browning. If I had shots that were over that I could probably practice and get a few more yards. The longest shot I have taken with the gun is about 140 yards; but most of my shots are under 75 yards. You see guys argue between a .270 and say a 7mm and one is really not much better than the other. This gun truely made a huge difference in my hunting; the increased range actually allows me to place stands in spots that I normally wouldn't think about due to the increase in range.

Comment

This is good. I completely forgot that they made an A-bolt slugger.

I wanna hear more from more of you. I know y'all are withholding information here...

Comment

Agreed with steve182 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad