Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In my younger years many bobwhite quail hunters used 16 gauge shotguns usually choosing one built on the correct size frame (Swe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my younger years many bobwhite quail hunters used 16 gauge shotguns usually choosing one built on the correct size frame (Swe

In my younger years many bobwhite quail hunters used 16 gauge shotguns usually choosing one built on the correct size frame (Sweet Sixteen, M-12, etc.). Why did the shell and the guns fall into disfavor over the last 2 or 3 decades?

THis may not be the gospel but I am an avid 16ga. shoter, and have asked that question several times and the common answer has been the feather weight 12ga loads and the versatility of the 3in chamber 20ga. reason being that the 20ga mag could equal and possibly surpass the 16 in certin areas. Also with the non-toxic shot regulations the 16 was no longer an acceptablewaterfowl gun look around and see how many steel shot offerings there in 16ga and also ask if you would shoot steel out of an older fixed choke gun. take it or leave it thats just what I have been told hope it helps. Personally I think that nothing could be sweeter than any of my 16's

Comment

16 is nice but you can load a 12 down with the same results. I have a 16 and I just rather shoot my 12 or 20. No I dont have any thing against the 16 I just find my 12 more handy as far as ammo goes

Comment

I tell’ya what will scare the crap out of you, is mearns quail. They will hold so tight until you step on them and then detonate!!!

Comment

Its a niche gun kind of like the 28, the 12 and 20s will do anything that it will and the manufactures don't want a lot of overlap, except in rifles where overlap must be VERY good.

Comment

The twenty gauge 3" magnum and the requirement for non-toxic shot for waterfowl killed the 16 gauge. That and the fact that the 12 gauge has numerous loads that can be used for anything. The twenty gauge isn't too far behind the 12 in versatility, so the flexibility of the two edged out the 16 gauge.

Comment

You guys nailed this situation perfectly. That said look on gunbroker at the prices of a 16 compared to an equal 12 or 20 mag. It's the same old deal about any marketable item that is considered to be rare is also thought to be more valuable. Back when M-42s were being manufacturered they were often given to dealers who purchased a certain quantities of M-94s, M-12s, and M-70s. Most set on these dealers shelves until someone bought them cheap so they could cut the stock down to fit their wife or kids. Check out what an uncut M-42 brings today compared to a 12 gauge M-12. Same holds true for pre-64 M-70s. When you could walk into a Western Auto and buy one new about all they sold were '06s and .270s, rarely did anyone buy a .257 Roberts. Due to this scarcity of the M-70 .257 Bob today the price is outrageous compared to the '06s or .270s. I could go on but figure you are getting bored by now.

Comment

Y'all said it, but man, it's a shame. I love 16 gauge.

Comment

Look at my name..... wil continue to snatch up any 16 I can find currently have close to 1500 rounds of 16ga ammo if I fing a load I like I buy a Case regardless and I reload but buy do I wish I could find it easier, check out ablesammo.com to find good prices on 16 loads am a frequent sustomer!!

Comment

I have several 16 ga. guns, more than any other and use that ga. at any chance. Don't really know why.except that they have an appeal to me and are different.

Comment

It occupied a "gray area" of overlap and was redundant.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad