Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was thinking of getting a 12 ga. remington 870, but I am not sure on the cost and how the recoil is. I'm 15 but kind of small,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was thinking of getting a 12 ga. remington 870, but I am not sure on the cost and how the recoil is. I'm 15 but kind of small,

I was thinking of getting a 12 ga. remington 870, but I am not sure on the cost and how the recoil is. I'm 15 but kind of small, so I dont know if I should get something else.

If re~coil is in question look to a semi-auto in 12ga or 20ga. the 870Rem list in Bass pro,$489.00 LOOK at used guns on line or gun shows? Good Luck!

Comment

If cost is a concern, you could also consider watching sales, etc. You should be able to find one for about $300 new, if you can wait to buy it. I'm a lousy judge of recoil. (And I'm not bragging: A .270 knocks the devil out of me, the 12 doesn't bother me at all).

Comment

i am 14 and i have a remington 870 wingmaster and the recoil isnt all that bad.

Comment

I was planning to get one as an upgrade from my 20 gauge, a break action savage revalation

Comment

I'm seeing Rem 870 12 gauge shotguns on the used rack (these are economically challenging times) for $275-300. I think you'll find the recoil is entirely manageable and easy to absorb, depending on your choice of ammunition. I think the 870 is an excellent choice.

Comment

My first gun was the 870 Express Combo with rifled barrel. I think it was under $400 when I bought it.

Comment

you should be able to get an 870 in the bal1park of 300 dollars and recoil is pretty managable in pump guns until you start shooting things like 3 inch slugs and things along that nature

Comment

im 14 as well and the 870 is an excellent choice. and when ur shooting something ur so excited u dont feel any recoil. but i would spend the money and get a semi auto they are way nicer and the recoil is not as bad

Comment

Here's my two bits on a 12 ga. Shells are easy to find at the best price because a 12 ga. is the most popular gauge. You can shoot light loads to heavy loads. the 12ga. offers a wide range of loads. If the kick is a problem just shoot lighter loads. The 12 is also heavier than a 20 or a 28 so when you shoot a particular load it doesn't kick as much as a lighter gun shooting a comparable load...wt reduces kick. The first thing I would observe is..does the stock fit? The length of pull from the back of the stock to the trigger needs to fit you...being young doesn't matter in that regard. Around 14", slightly more, is the standard, and that doesn't fit me...too long. I need to have the stock cut down, but that is because of my short arm length primarily.
                    If I were only hunting with the gun, and target practicing on clay targets not all that much, I wouldn't worry about kick. A rubber butt pad, and a flushing bird, or a shot at an incoming duck, and you don't even remember the gun kicked. You probably wouldn't complain about shooting a box of trap loads at clays as well.

Comment

Sayfu amen-My first shotgun was a Rem 870 12 and I still use it ofen for dove and whatnot. The recoil isn't that bad especially compared to my benelli nova so go for it. The 870 is one of the most praised guns of all time and buying a 12 ga right now will save you from having to buy one later cuz you're gonna buy one eventually.

Comment

if the recoil is bad put a pad on it

Comment

Rem 870 is a great all around gun, the cost isnt to bad either, around $350, im 16 and i have an 870 12 gauge, the recoil isnt bad at all either...i would get it if i were you.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad