Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a new gunowner, I have a 12 guage 870 express. I need to know the ins and outs on CLEANING and OILING the gun. Last couple t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a new gunowner, I have a 12 guage 870 express. I need to know the ins and outs on CLEANING and OILING the gun. Last couple t

I'm a new gunowner, I have a 12 guage 870 express. I need to know the ins and outs on CLEANING and OILING the gun. Last couple times I've cleaned it I've just used oil wipes to clean the barrel and outside. When do you use a metal brush, or that soft brush thing? What are all the parts on the gun that needs to be oiled? I'm so confused!

get a metal cleaning rod, some solvent and patches, patch rod attachment thingy, that metal brush and that soft brush thing, and some gun oil.

run a patch soaked in solvent down the barrel. twirl it around on the way down. get out that metal brush. shove that baby in and out some. solvent patch it again. shove that soft brush thing in and out some. run a dry patch. still dirty? do all or some steps some more. you'll figure out what it takes to get that bore sparkling.

wipe down all metal parts you can get to with a very light coat of oil. if it's already oily, just wipe it down.

find someone that knows what they are doing (not me. but my guns work great, shoot straight, and aren't rusting, so whatever) and have them show you how to take it apart, where to internally oil and clean, and all the other fun little gun-specific details.

Comment

Fortunetly catfishclark10, you have an gun that's easy to take apart and clean, as long as you know what you're doing. Trust me, first time I took apart a gun was an 870 when I was 13 and bored out in the field! Learn from a guy with experience, that's no place to learn how to take apart and put back together a firearm. But I tell you what, I learned very fast how to put that thing back together! haha!

But anyways, word of advice, easy on the gun oil. Use only what's necassary to keep the parts moving. As you may know oil has an attraction to dirt and sand, and in cold whether climates too much oil can gum up the action and make it difficult to cycle rounds. But before you get too confused with too much advice, just remember do not use too much oil. I believe the beloved David Petzal explains how to clean your firearms in one of the back issues of F&S quite a few months back, I really don't remember, sometime last year?

Comment

I always take the choke tube out and put oil on the threads of it.

Comment

Get your self a shotgun cleaning kit matched to the gauge and follow the instructions in your owners manual.

Comment

All great advice, remember what AlaskanPride said. Easy on the oil. After I run a barely oiled patch on my 870 or anything else I run a dry patch over that.

Comment

I agree with AlaskanPride answer!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by dewman
                                Only gun I have with a laser is a Walter p22 that I don't care much for. Sorry PH.
                                Today, 12:41 PM
                              • Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by dewman
                                That's what my sister in law carries, exactly the same I believe. And like many, she's never shot even one round through it. I can't tell you how many...
                                Today, 12:39 PM
                              • Reply to 30 06 bullets
                                by crm3006
                                From PigHunter- "Hunters should amend the unwritten law they’ve obeyed for years and try 150-grain bullets in the .30-’06 for all big game. They’ll...
                                Today, 12:36 PM
                              • 30 06 bullets
                                by Cobey alvarez
                                What 30-06 bullet is better for deer rem core lokt or Hornady American whitetail...
                                07-07-2020, 11:41 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X