Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you shoot slugs threw a smooth bore shotgun barrel? I want the Remington 870 but was wondering if i should get the combo wit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you shoot slugs threw a smooth bore shotgun barrel? I want the Remington 870 but was wondering if i should get the combo wit

Can you shoot slugs threw a smooth bore shotgun barrel? I want the Remington 870 but was wondering if i should get the combo with the smooth bore and the rifled barrel or just one with a smooth bore barrel and save myself 150 dollars. any idea on what i should do? thanks for the help!

You can shoot slugs with the cylinder choke. The smartest thing you can do in this instance is get the smooth bore with chokes and see how it does at cylinder bore at the ranges you intend to shoot. Then you have the entire range of accurate barrels from Which to choose. This way, you've got all the birds covered, as well as the bucks.

Comment

If you get one with interchangable chokes you can get a rifled choke tube. My big reccomendation is that you try Federal Truball slugs with Modified and Cylinder chokes and possibly a rifled choke tube. I use them out of a modified choke with the front bead and can hit out to 100 yards.

Comment

well, if you can get both but that would mean using a cantelever scope which is ok, but I like my scope mounted to gun. I love the 870 rifled. LOVE IT! in fact...look left I love it so much! this is my deer gun and the occasional big game wood chuck elimantor!

I use Horndays even though I could use 3 inch, I like the way Hornadays shoot for me.
        Good luck!

Comment

less accurate at longer distances with a smooth bore, but you can shoot with it.

Comment

being an 870 owner at one time myself...i'm pretty sure the tightest choke tub you can use, but still safe is a modified choke tub....but like matt wasson said if you can get a rifled choke tube or rifled barrel for your gun...you will probably double your accuracy.

Comment

Most smoothbores shoot slugs they like accurately to 75-100 yds, if you're lucky. With a rifled barrel you may almost double your range, if you're lucky. If you hunt in thick woods the smoothbore will be fine. If you want to sit on a field, get the rifled barrel and scope.

Comment

Let me toss in another option - a basic H&R Ultra Slug Hunter can be bought for around $200 - cheaper used (it is not a gun many people wear out). Just set it up with a permanently mounted scope and a stock-mounted shell holder and you don't have to fool with it.

Comment

you can shoot slugs through a smooth bore, but you sacrifice accuracy, a rifled barrel will give you greater accuracy, good choice on the 870, i would go with the 2 barrels, thats what i have, and the barrels are a cinch to swap out.

Comment

Brig Marine says it best!!! I agree with him.

Comment

Definately yes. I was shooting slugs through my 870 before anyone ever heard of a slug barrel. Accuracy is a factor and with the slugs they are making now if I had to shoot a shotgun I would definately go with the slug barrel

Comment

Get both barrels the rifled barrel is much more accurate.

Comment

Two days ago (early firearm season in MI) I took a decent size doe at 90 yards with fiber optic sights on a 26 inch smoothbore 870 with improved cylinder choke (that's what Remington recommends). The bullet was no more than a couple of inches from where my front sight said it would go. I have yet to bench rest the gun beyond 100 yards, but after some bench resting and my last take I would shoot 100 yards all day and not worry about hitting right where I aim. The slugs I shoot are Winchester 1 oz 1560 fps, available at Walmart pretty cheaply. That being said, the rifled barrel will increase your range significantly, although I have not tested one. Whatever you end up with, different guns like different rounds, so you'll have to experiment to find what works for you. I have shot some Federal True Ball at 50 yards and they did shoot straight. Have fun.

Comment

Yes indeed, you can. The so-called rifled slug was designed to do just that.
                            And my info from Remington is a "skeet" choke is the proper choke in their Rem-choke's for firing slugs through the 870, or any of their other shotguns.
                            I have recently bought a new 870, in left hand eject, as I shoot long guns southpaw style, and bought the skeet choke for firing slugs.
                            My first 5 shots patterned generally circular, 8" wide group, at a target 75yds away. In the area I hunt this is more than enough distance, and phenomenal accuracy for a smoothbore in my opinion.

Comment

I have a Mossberg 500 with a 20" smooth bore does that mean I won't be able to have accuracy from slugs also ?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad