Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it irritating when someone calls a gun a weapon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or does anyone else find it irritating when someone calls a gun a weapon?

Is it just me or does anyone else find it irritating when someone calls a gun a weapon?

It always has and always will!

Comment

Defintion, Weapon: something used to injure, defeat, or destroy.

Comment

Every gun, firearm, thunderstick and or smokepole I own can also be called a weapon at anytime. Alot of times the term weapon is used by people with a military or law enforcement background.
        To me it is just semantics and does not bother me at all what term is used.
        I have even heard of people getting bent out of shape because a gun is a cannon, howitzer etc. and do not like it when a rifle or pistol is referd to as being a gun..so semantics

Comment

This is my weapon; this is my gun. This one is for..... You know the rest!

Comment

I don't find it necessary to give someone a grammer lesson every time they use a word I don't like or that I think is misused.

Comment

Any gun is a weapon. Sorry.

Comment

i think of it as more of a tool. my gun without me is nothing me without my gun and i am nothing.

Comment

Usually people that use that type of wording watch "Cops" too often or it is a red flag that they are going to soon say that they don't like hunting. It is a weapon, but it is a "red flag" word of someone eluding to a 30-06 and fire bombing a village being the same weapon.

Comment

The .30-06 was the cartridge we used to win WWI...

Comment

I called the M-16 A1 a gun ONCE. I was in the front leaning rest position for about two hours during a hurricane at Fort Jackson in 1985. I haven't called a rifle a gun since. I do go to the "gun" shop though.

Comment

Just like when the news reports, "Over 500 rounds of pistol ammo was found in the suspects home." when all it is is a brick of .22 rounds! Certain people like to use terminology convenient to their agenda and yes, it's aggrevating because you know the layperson buys into all of it.

Comment

It is what it is.

Comment

I don't know if it really matters or not. I call my shotguns my "duck gun", "turkey gun", and "goose gun", but I seldom refer to one of my rifles as a "gun", i.e. "That's a mighty fine elk rifle you got there, Slim."

I got stump broke from calling a rifle a gun at Fort Polk, Louisiana in 1969.

Comment

I lean more towards weapon than gun.. But I would typically say rifle, .40, 12-gauge, over-under.. I could care less what other people call theirs.. I'll understand whatever terminology they want to use.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad