Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

people have been telling me lately, after i bought my new .270win, that the .30-06 is better than the .270 at everything. Is thi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Moishe, where can I find one of those thins with Fangs? LOL

Comment

It's a Ford vs. Chevy debate, but you can tell them they are obviously misinformed. The .270 is nearer to perfection than any cartridge ever developed, with the possible and notable exception of the 7mm08.

I don't own one, but if we all looked the data over very carefully, that's all any of us would shoot.

Comment

Why do so many people get tied up in discussions like this? The real difference between the two is not worth worrying about. More emphasis should be placed on the operator and qualities of the rifle than the caliber when the two are so similar. If you are new to big game hunting and shooting in general then I think you made a better choice with the .270. If you think you are going to hunt things that are bigger than deer the .30-06 might have been a better choice. I have an old M77 Ruger that I have carried for many years in .270. Parts of its stock have literally been worn away from carrying it on a backpack frame. All I have to do is take it out of the gun safe and all of the many happy memories of using it come back to me. Start building your own cache of memories with it and as a caliber it won't let you down. Shoot often, shoot safe and shoot well.

Comment

They are both fantastic rounds. I'll just say this the 06 is kinda like the prom queen, people say its the best because its the popular choice, but the .270 is like that cute quiet girl no one notices, still great but not as noticed. You picked a great round and let them all have the annoying prom queen and enjoy your under rated beauty

Comment

I am in the same predicament, after talking it over with my dad I decided to go with the 30-06, I like to have plenty of punch for a whitetail, and why not get a caliber that can take down an elk or caribou? I don't plan on shooting either next year but i will someday so why not.

Comment

Nope.... not neccessarily true at all. The .270 was designed to shoot the 130 gr. bullet and shoots it flat and accurately. The 30-06 was primarily designed to use the 180 gr. bullet. They both have adequate energy out to as far as you can shoot them accurately to do the job on all but the grizzlies or brown bears. The '06 does a good job on those with a 200 to 220 gr. bullet but preferably at or under 100 yds.
              The bottom line is which do you shoot best. The 270 has a little less recoil and shoots flatter while the '06 can use a heavier bullet. If you can shoot it well, have confidence in it, shoot it. You'll probably do better than the boys using the big 300+ magnums.
              Good Hunting

Comment

huntnow and looneyducer

You guys are full of it! LMAO

Comment

I think a 30-06 is a bit more versatile just because of bullet choices.

As far as a 270 win goes though I know I could not be happier with mine.

I would not hesitate to shoot a moose with it and if a bear was running at me I'd empty my clip and I'm sure he'd be dead before me.

Trust me you'll love your 270!

Comment

I have nothing against a .270, I even owned one once... But, to all you fellows who continually claim flatter trajectory for the the .270, PLEASE look at a ballistic table! You are correct that in most bullet weights the .270 is flatter... by fractions of an inch! There is very little difference in the trajectories of either cartridge. With heavier bullets the old '06 even draws a narrow edge.

Huntnow, I dare say there is much, much more to the story than the information you provide. Range, shot placement and bullet type all effect the performance of ANY cartridge in the field. You can also toss in the alert level of the animal shot.

Boy's I hate to tell you even the great Cactus Jack O'Connor admitted that the 30/06 was a more versatile round than his much beloved .270 and he actually preferred the 30/06 (or the 7mm Remington mag in later years) for use on game larger than deer. Read his published works...

There is nothing magical about the .270. It is one of the truly great cartridges of the world. Relativley mild in recoil, "flat" shooting and the darling of one of the most vocal and egotistical writers of all time. Effective yes, magical, no.

I'll keep my 30/06!

Comment

Ed J, Try Arizona and other western states (od a lot of others I have seen tracks in KS) for Cougar, or Alaska For Grizzlies.

Comment

None of us should lose sleep on this discussion, but it always turns into a long one. They are both great calibers. I have killed more animals with each of these than most have killed with either one. When going to Africa I take only the 06 anymore, just more versatile. If not for the great Jack O'Connor the 270 would be considered a great caliber on it's own, not constantly compared to the equally fine round, the 30 06.

Comment

Its all in perspective of the person, just like some people like Ford and some like Chevy better.

Comment

O god, here we go again....

Comment

Beekeeper, that brought a tear to my eye.

Comment

I never killed anything with a ballistics table nor have I ever fried one to see how they taste!

BTW, if you read further in the works of Cactus Jack you will find that he really liked the .35 Whelen, too. The .270 and .280 are just Nought Six Light's! Sort of like some who are a bit light in the loafers....

If the .270 Winchester is nearly perfection in a rifle cartridge as someone suggested, then I offer the 7mm Weatherby magnum as the suitable "Official Rifle" for the Second Coming! LOL

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad