Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

people have been telling me lately, after i bought my new .270win, that the .30-06 is better than the .270 at everything. Is thi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• people have been telling me lately, after i bought my new .270win, that the .30-06 is better than the .270 at everything. Is thi

people have been telling me lately, after i bought my new .270win, that the .30-06 is better than the .270 at everything. Is this true?

no the 270 is just as good, i have both i have shot 7 deer with my 270 none of the 7 have went more than 10 yards. i love the 270.

Comment

Depends on what you plan to hunt, Well placed shots cand takecare of most animals in the lower 48, but if your after thins with Fangs,tusks or claws that will try to kill you before they die, get the biggest gun you can handle.

Comment

.270 is a lighter recoiling flatter shooting round, will take deer-moose sized game. 30-06 has heavier bullets available if you are so inclined to hunt larger animals/dangerous game.

Comment

No, the .270 shoots flatter then the .30-06. If I had a .270 I would use it instead of my .30-06 for whitetails.

Comment

can* take*care* laptops are the the WORST form of torture!

Comment

They are pretty much the same, a .270 is just a 30-06 necked down to hold a smaller bullet. So the 270 is technically faster and flatter shooting, while the 30-06 can shoot alot heavier bullets which means it has better stopping power for bigger animals. But if all that you are hunting is deer, then the 2 rounds are as good as each other. If you were going for moose, then i would get a 30-06 or bigger

Comment

buckboy,
                Yes it's true. A 270 is a fine cartridge but it can't hold a candle to an '06.

Comment

thank you alot

Comment

the 270 kicks less than the 30-06 and is flatter shooting. but it lacks the knock-down power that the 30-06 has. if you are going after big game like elk and moose, the 30-06 is a great gun for everything including varmints. in my opinion, i would choose an 06 over a 270 any day.

Comment

actually it doesn't even really lack the knock down power but like they said the 270 shoots flatter so it is more accurate over longer distances and it kicks less it can take down just about everything with the right shot placement but the bigger it is you probably want to take the 30 06

Comment

You did good. I've had both and like both. People say the .30-06 is the most flexible cartridge around. Perhaps it is, since bullets are available from 55 gr to 220 gr, but I don't know anyone that regularly shoots 55 gr, 130gr, 165 gr, and 220gr bullets out of the same gun.

The .270 is nice because it does shoot a bit faster and flatter at longer ranges. Personally, I think 130-140 gr bullets offer the best balance in the .270, while 165-180 gr are the best in the .30-06. With those loads the .270 is probably moving a couple hundred fps faster.

For argument, suppose you shoot a 130gr Barnes TSX out of both the .270 and .30-06. I just happen to have the manual beside me. At the muzzle the .30-06 is, perhaps, 100 fps faster than the .270. But at 200 yards, the velocity is virtually the same. At 500 yards the .270 is 170 fps faster. The longer .270 bullet has a higher ballistic coefficient so maintains its velocity better, bucks the wind better, and may expand more because of the higher velocity. And its higher sectional density and velocity should translate into better penetration. Velocities are about same for 150gr bullets but the .270 has better sectional density, so better penetration. .270 might just be a better long range choice. Could probably come up with a great argument for the .30-06, too. But that is all book stuff. As they also say, the deer won't know the difference because they will be just as dead with either round at reasonable ranges.

Comment

Enjoy your .270 Win. When the deer quit dying (which they won't) get you an '06.

Comment

Yes and no. Both are great calibers. Have shot both and they have their places to shoot. As far as hunting in the US the 270 will do everything needed. I have seen a 200lb bear taken down with 1 shot. All depends on where you place your shot! I would take the 30-06 If I were to go for a huge brown or grizzly though. Bit more punch!

Comment

i was on an elk hunt with four other guys in 07'. there were some 06's, some 7mm mags, and the lone .270. the guy with the .270 was the only one that didn't have to shoot twice. one of the guys with the 06 put a decent shot on one and actually never recovered it, by GPS he tracked it 8 miles. i'll take the flatter shooting round any day over the biggest one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad