Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently entered a raffle, and the prize I was looking at was a Reminton XCR. Then I saw the calibre and ground; .300 RUM. I h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently entered a raffle, and the prize I was looking at was a Reminton XCR. Then I saw the calibre and ground; .300 RUM. I h

I recently entered a raffle, and the prize I was looking at was a Reminton XCR. Then I saw the calibre and ground; .300 RUM. I have fired a .300 win mag and found it enjoyable (weatherby vanguard package), and I know of the ammo cost, speed, and barrel burn, but how much more effective IS the RUM?

It is probably more effective than a .300 Win mag at extended ranges by giving you comparable energy at perhaps a hundred yards further out. Hardly worth the ammo cost, barrel life, recoil and blast. If you have never fired one with a full house load, you might consider another caliber or you can buy the Power Level I or II ammo from Remington comparable to a .30-06 and .300 WM respectively. Gee, I wonder why they did that? Go figure. I suppose if I won it in a raffle, I would try it or trade it.

Comment

I'd find a dealer willing to make a trade for the caliber of my choice. Good luck

Comment

I would agree with WA Mtnhunter and steve182, trade the thing for a .300 Win or .300 Weatherby...

Comment

It is too much of a good thing. I know a fellow in my neck of the woods that bought one and has resulted in using the Power level I ammo from Remington as WMH said. It is grossy over bore and done.

The problem I see is practicing enough at long range with the cannon to be effective. The .300 RUM is a beast off of the bench or off hand. The muzzle blast alone while using a lead sled gave me a headache!

Congrats on the win! Shop it around and see if you can trade it to some big strong he man type! LOL

Comment

I own two 300 RUM both custom made by prominent rifle makers. Used them both on two 30 day safaris, so they both were used extensively. Neither of them shoot as accurately as any of my 300 Win Mags. I use heavy recoil rifles all the time, so "kick" alone does not make them less accurate. They are both more tempermental to handload than the 300 Win's. My purpose in having them made was the larger case capacity should make them more suitable for a two hundred grain bullet, which I used to prefer in Africa. Because I had discovered the 200 grain ruined less meat than the 180's and worked fine if one got in a situation with large cranky animals. New ammo products have negated this advantage. I have gone back to the 300 Win Mags for my light rifle using the 180's.

In summary too much recoil, not enough accuracy, ammo too expensive, barrel to long, etc, etc.

Have two Ultra Mag in my closet I would part with to a more sophisticated hunter and rifleman than I.

Comment

With my 300 RUM I don't have the same problem as Happy Myles. I would compare it in accuracy 22-250 which is great. Yes, It has more of a bite, but I don't shoot it for plinking. As for the price of Ammo it is very comparable, plus Remington now offers it in different powerlevels, so you can have it be 30-06 with the cost 06 ammo, or 300 mag with the cost mag ammo, or you can have the big one with ammo in the 60 dollar range. I love it, and nothing seems to move after being shot, or at least not very far.

Comment

The only thing that I have had done to my A-bolt medallion is have the trigger polished to give a better pull. The recoil doesn't seem any worse than my 12 ga. shooting slugs it just a quicker feeling kick.

Comment

Happy Miles:

I think we found your sophisticated rifleman!

Comment

I forgot, mine don't have muzzle brakes because many African professional hunters won't let you use them.

Comment

Most of the .300 RUM and .30-378 Weatherby's are fitted with muzzle brakes. As are most of their .338 Ubermag bretheren. There is a good reason for this: Recoil! Don't let anyone $h!t you, those things have a ton of recoil and blast. Anyone who says different has never fired one more than once from the bench, never fired one at all, or is just a liar!

I'm not saying that the recoil cannot be handled by some shooters. There are those who are very adept at handling those large magnums. I'm just betting that 90% of you out there aren't amongst them. I usually go in the range house when Ubermagnum Boy shows up with a braked Boomengeblaster.

Comment

Hey WAM tell us what you REALLY think! I agree BTW. When I used the 375 H&H in AK I fired 2 rounds one at the range to check Zero and one at the Moose.

Comment

to beeekeeper, I AM the big strong manly-man type. LOL.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad