Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on a 7mm.08?

opinions on a 7mm.08?

The folks that I know that have them hold them in high esteem for whitetails and black bear.

Comment

I agree with 007. Ammo is a little tougher to come by maybe, but it's available. I think it's a good caliber

Comment

Getcha a 308 and be done with it! 308 you can always find ammo and hunt anything on the North American Continent, but 7mm-08? Not in my gun safe!

Comment

It is a great deer rifle! Not a lot of kick, and very effective.

Comment

Great whitetail round with good range, and low recoil. All of of our "inner-city youth program" rifles are 7-08( donated).

Comment

Some argue that the 7mm-08 is the ultimate whitetail round. Short action. Low recoil. Relatively flat shooting. Good selection of high ballistic coefficient bullets. Great energy retention at long ranges.

Comment

i have one and love it. great shooting round. ammo is not hard to comeby here. however i did start reloading my own because i can reload a better round for cheaper than store bought ammunition

Comment

I think it is an excellent youth caliber with lower recoil than the .308 due to the lighter bullets. However, the .308 can be loaded with 125 or 130 grain bullets to have the same net effect. The 7mm-08 might be a bit superior in the ballistic table, but not much different at the dinner table. I like it as an alternative to the .243 Win. I would never feel undergunned with one for deer hunting.

Comment

Excellent round that for all intents and purposes duplicates another excellent round the 7 X 57. It offers a wide selection of bullet designs and weights. Moderate recoil, good trajectory and sufficient downrange energy without pounding the shoulder. Federal produces a good selection of ammo for the 7mm-08 and I can find Federal, Remington and Winchester ammo in most any Wal-Mart I visit.

Its mild manners allow it to be housed in light and handy rifles and still be pleasure to shoot. It will handle any deer, feral hog, antelope or black bear made. In a pinch it could be used for Elk provided one picks the shot.

Comment

Hey WAM

308 with 130's?

Talking my language Brother!

Comment

I have nothing but positive comments concerning the 7mm-08, and agree with the favorable comments already made. It's an efficient cartridge that will deliver the power you need and praiseworthy accuracy from a decently crafted, short-action rifle. It's a very good choice, especially if you handload. Good hunting!

Comment

Although it is a .308 (8mm) necked down to 7mm, another way to look at it would be as a .243 (6mm) necked up to 7mm. So in terms of perceived recoil, it should be somewhere in between the two with the 120 grain bullet. It's a great round for medium-sized game.

Comment

I would have to say a good gun. Shot my first buck with a gun with it.

Comment

CLAY
                              I recently bought some 130 gr Hornady Interlock SP's just for the .308 and my .300 Savage. I might even load some for my .30-30. It's a single shot so the spire point won't matter I'll probably use H380 or Ramshot TAC in the .308 Win. Don't know about the others.

99EXPLORER
                              Better check your info there. The .308 is a 7.62 mm not an 8 mm. An 8 mm is a .323 in the cartridge world.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad