Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would be the best caliber to take and elk or a moose with??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhyb
    replied
    .338 Win. Mag. And don't look back.. get the sledge hammer for the big critters! Works great on deer too, dime sized hole going in, nickle sized hole going out. And they never go far."OH", ya, a limbsaver recoil pad will keep the flinches away.

Leave a comment:

• blackdawgz
    replied
    For something that BIG, I would go back to the gun shop where I saw a previously-owned .458 Win Mag in excellent condition. A Ruger #1, of course.

Leave a comment:

• dangerous game
    replied
    anything from a 7mm mag to a 416 the best for long range shooting are the 300 mags

Leave a comment:

• NolanOsborne
    replied
    My uncle hunted moose for years with .270's and no problems. 30-06 is probably more ideal though.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    I would feel confident using my 270 on a moose. Is it ideal...probably not in most guys opinions. Shot placement is far more important than bullet size. If I was going to buy a new rifle and use it only for moose I would probably get a 300 win mag. If I had the chance to go moose hunting before I could get a new rifle however I would take my 270 without worrying.

Leave a comment:

• flyer22
    replied
    Ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers.

What is the best CCW gun?
    What is the best deer gun?
    What is the best fishing lure?
    What is the best ...etc, etc.

I do, however, love these type of questions because of the amount of opinions you get from others who do know. Take what they have to say with a grain of salt and apply it to yourself and your situation as best you can.

I've heard of people having success with anything ranging from 25-06 to 416 Rigby. Personally, I wouldn't recommend either of them. I think the 25-06 is too small and the 416 is too painful for my shoulder.

What can you shoot well?

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    I prefer the 338 Win Mag, that what I use. I've hunted 4 years in Alaska and found anything under 30 cal doesn't work to good especially the 7mm Rem Mag. I've witnessed a lot of wounded Moose with that Cartridge.

My 338 Win Mag was my primary and my 30-06 03-A3 was my backup and some of my friends had to barrow it and it did a fine job!

Remember one thing before you pull the trigger, can you get it out!!! To many hunters have done that and I had to go miles into the tundra to haul their game out!!

Leave a comment:

• thuroy
    replied
    300 RUM or 338 RUM you would be very pleased with the results. If you don't want the extra kick try a newer round in the 325 wsm. It has similar power and balistics to 300 mag without as much kick.

Leave a comment:

• Jere Smith
    replied
    When I was in AK I used a 375 H&H Bang flop every time.

Never had to track them.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Any of the above will do the job but I used a 350 Rem magnum with 250 gr bullets when I lived in AK. Nothing shot got out of sight.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    .30-06, 7mm or .300 magnums, and up.

Leave a comment:

• BigBboy25
    replied
    .30/06, .300 win mag. anything along those lines will do.

Leave a comment:

• slothman
    replied
    300 mag or 338, if you are buying a gun just for this job.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    A 30-06 will do the job well and won't beat you up in the process.

Leave a comment:

• tennesseedeerhunter
    replied
    a 300 mag

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad