Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i shot a deer at 50 yards with my 243 and hit it right in the ribs. their was no exit hole and no blood. should i buy better amm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Mays
    replied
    WOW all kinds of points of view cool.. I have heard of deer just standing there after a 270 ripped through them and they were not dead.. They bullet was actually going to fast ??? Yes sir hot lead can seal wounds from the friction of the speeding slug to just being hot from being fired....Try it with a close range round ball from a 50 caliber muzzleloader and a bad shot.. The round ball is infamous round here for causing long tracking from the "sealing up of the wound"

Leave a comment:

• kdog70
    replied
    Did you recover the bullet itself? Probably need a different bullet. Not many bullets are meant to open up and mushroom effectively at 3000+fps which your bullet was going at 50 yards.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    libertyfirst - downward shot through the spine and into the shoulder. Everything inside was mush so wonder if it tumbled inside.

Leave a comment:

• PSEbowhunter
    replied
    try better bullets and see how they work for you

Leave a comment:

• BioGuy
    replied
    If a bullet does not exit the animal, that means it delivered all of its kinetic energy inside the animal. It's actually a result I desire in my ammo...it typically happens with high lead content bullets and hollow points. These types of bullets are designed to mushroom very quickly and deliver their kenetic energy inside the animal, thus completely destroying any organs they come into contact with. Others may have a different opinion and preferences in their ammo, but it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the stuff you're using. It should work fine on deer. Shot placement is always key, no matter what ammo you use, so as long as it's grouping well and you are confident the bullet will hit where you want it to, you're fine.

Leave a comment:

• libertyfirst
    replied
    MLH
    Glad that you posted. I have never personally seen what you just described and it's good to hear different positions from a source you trust. Was your shot at a severe raking angle?

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Almost forgot - I had a .270 Win Failsafe not exit a good sized buck from about 50 yards. Can see some surprising results at times.

Leave a comment:

• Jere Smith
    replied
    Well, since you got the deer why are you complaining? Obvously you killed it, I shoot Remington 150 gr 30/06 usually get a bang flop and rarely have an exit.

Leave a comment:

• MN_deer
    replied
    I assume you got the deer as you said there was no exit (?) A few years back I got a big fat 12pt- 30 yards away, using .30-06 180gr. NO EXIT WOUND! (I'm not kidding) -my point being- what size was the deer? Angled away from you? Did you find the round inside the deer? If so, was it in pieces, or did it retain weight? (assuming you got the deer) ....need more info to advise.....

Leave a comment:

• HuskyKMA
    replied
    I'd be willing to bet that the Remington Core-Lokt has taken more deer than any other bullet out there.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    elkslayer is right, hard to beat those Remingtons!

Leave a comment:

• elkslayer
    replied
    I hunt deer almost exclusively with a .243. the gun is not the issue. Keep in mind that no matter what ammo you use it is possible for any number of reasons for the bullet to not exist. I mostly reload but when I do use factory ammo I buy 100 grain Remington Core-Lokts. These bullets have killed deer fo me from as close as 15 yards and out to 200 yards.

Leave a comment:

• codyboyd
    replied
    i agree w. jestr1 if you want an exit wound get a bigger bullet or a stronger inside for the bullet

Leave a comment:

• jestr1
    replied
    As long as you recovered the deer there shouldnt be an issue. If you are looking for exit wound bullets go for a bonded or solid core. Hollow points expand real fast and at that range may just explode inside

Leave a comment:

• phconk
    replied
    i am sorry i didn't make clear that i did recover the deer and it didn't suffer at all, it just ran a little and i shot it again

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad