Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i shot a deer at 50 yards with my 243 and hit it right in the ribs. their was no exit hole and no blood. should i buy better amm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i shot a deer at 50 yards with my 243 and hit it right in the ribs. their was no exit hole and no blood. should i buy better amm

i shot a deer at 50 yards with my 243 and hit it right in the ribs. their was no exit hole and no blood. should i buy better ammo or get a bigger gun

SOUNDS LIKE THE AMMO MAYBE TRY HORNADY 100 GR INTERLOCK BTSP ... WHAT BULLET ARE YOU USEING?????

Comment

You need heavier hollowpoints.

Comment

i am phconk and i use the federal (the cheapest ones)

Comment

SPLURDGE AND GET SOME GOOD AMMO..SOMETHING THAT WILL LEAVE A EXIT WOUND.. A SOLID HEAVY BULLET WILL PENETRATE FURTHEST...GLASSMAN

Comment

Did it kill the deer?

Comment

I would like to know how you would know that there was no exit hole if you didn't recover the deer. Or if you did recover the deer, what the problem is.

Comment

What bullet were you using? But sounds like it killed the deer.

Comment

I dropped a 180 lb. eight point at 125 yds shooting winchesters. dont shoot at the ribs shoot either right behind the shoulder or right in front of it, preferably right in front of it it doesnt tear up the insides so bad

Comment

Let me rephrase that - What is on the ammo box? There should be a weight (in grains) and bullet type.

Comment

DO NOT shoot deer with a .243 hollow point! That would make a mess with negligible penetration.

Comment

The question has been asked but not answered. Did you recover the deer? I have only my experience to go on, but I doubt the validity of this story. Please tell us if you recovered the deer.

Comment

A high lung shot that lodged in the far shoulder would leave little blood as it bled into the chest cavity. Doesn't mean the bullet didn't perform well. Not enough info though to make any sense of this.

Comment

HA!

The 243 did was it suppose to do!

At close range, the bullet is still in Mega Warp Drive!

I've shot deer with my 30-06 and obtained the same results, so I wouldn't change ammo if it BANG FLOP!

Comment

i did get the deer after i shot it a second tim

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to topic
                                by franchi20
                                Pick edit at the bottom of your post; choices will show up in a bar and include "delete". That will do what you want. Just for fun, l purposely...
                                Today, 07:03 PM
                              • topic
                                by jhjimbo
                                08-06-2022, 08:29 PM
                              • Reply to Looking for a grain mill.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Back in the mid 80's, I was working as a rough carpenter in Dallas.
                                Showed up for work one morning and there was this dirty, longhaired, ragged...
                                Today, 06:45 PM
                              • Looking for a grain mill.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Recently found a local "niche" market for home ground whole wheat flour and cornmeal.
                                I have one grain mill, but a second would mean I...
                                08-06-2022, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to topic
                                by Danbo
                                I have erased topics I decided not to keep up.
                                We're just having fun,
                                This is also the most interesting topic currently going in my opini...
                                Today, 06:35 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X