Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The kid and I shot up almost two bricks of .22 LR over the weekend. I stopped by the two local gunstores today to restock only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The kid and I shot up almost two bricks of .22 LR over the weekend. I stopped by the two local gunstores today to restock only

The kid and I shot up almost two bricks of .22 LR over the weekend. I stopped by the two local gunstores today to restock only to discover that they had no .22 bricks, only the $10.00 a box match stuff. The owners were not there and the hired hands didn't seem to know why none was being shipped to them. I'll look at Walmart tomorrow. Has anyone else encountered this shortage and know what is going on?

I know a lot of stores pay tax on inventory so this time of year they keep inventory low so they pay less tax.

Comment

I hope buckhunter is right. Because what I keep hearing about is people buying up all the ammo in the stores because of Obama.

Comment

yea ish, I've been yellin about this for awhile. The brick I used to buy for 9.99 is half again or more and that was at walmart.

Comment

Don't know about any ammo shortages but two bricks with your kid in a weekend, sounds like some good fun.

Comment

Ish, last month I paid 31 bucks at Walmart for a brick of the Rem subsonic ammo. Today I stopped in at Ultracoatings, Inc. My friends there said the (local) Wholesaler can't keep primers (and ammo too I expect) in stock. Every shipment sells out immediately. Bill Evans told me it's Obama and the Dems. Bill gave me a new product to test.

If you check my photos let me know what you think about the Apaloosa's. There is quite a story behind the left horse in the pic. An outfitter near Fairbanks went out of biz and just left the state. His horses were found starving. That Stallion was one of only a few that was saved. The Vet had to castrate him and he got sickle hocks. My old Army buddy fed and nursed him back to health.

Comment

.22 is one of the most popular guns ever made, so lots of people have been stocking up.

Comment

Great photos Del. I don't know much about horses but he sure is pretty. Great photo of your dad also. You must treasure that one.

I havn't purchased any ammo since last year and I've been blowing through it during the weekends at the farm. Maybe I should start conserving it.

Comment

I just checked Midway and they are out of stock on all "affordable" .22 LR. They still have the match grade pricy stuff and a few other sizes like CBs and shorts. Very limited LR.
                  Del, nice Appys, they call these leopards around here as opposed to blankets. The nice thing about horses this color is 1) other hunters do not mistake them for elk and shoot them 2) you can see the white across several valleys or through trees so you can return to them. A friend has a half appy/half foxtrotter that is one of the best mountain horses I have encountered. He absolutely will not sell the gelding as I have offered him more than most folks would. The sickle hocks don't bother me unless they appear to cause problems for the horse. I have seen some sickle hocked horses go for years and years without any difficulty. Nice horses and the fellow with them looks like a man you can ride the river with...

Comment

Ish,

It would be a real pleasure to share a high country campfire, pot of hot coffee and bottle of Bailey's with you, Jim in Mo and Sarg. Maybe some day. I haven't rode a horse in many years.

Comment

That pic of MSG Cliff DuFraine and I in camp with the snow brought back memories of one of my most favorite hunts. Saw and passed on the biggest moose of my life cause no way to ge the meat out. Also great fun the Bear hunt with horses. I lost track of the horse owner many years ago. He was a retired Major and I can't remember his name. I have about 30-40 more pics check in a day or 2 and more will be up.

Comment

BTW Ish that fellow in the picture is a bit heavier and slower nowdays

Comment

Del I force myself keep up with my athletic 18 year old. He patiently waits on me more and more as the years go by. I can still climb to the top of the steep hills and tall mountains but it hurts now when it used to not bother me. My orthopedic surgeon friend and hunting partner has x-rayed my knees and hips and says he wishes he had them. At 51 he just had bilateral total knees done last month. He simply could not hike the mountains or stay in the saddle without intense pain so he didn't get to elk hunt last year. You boys put in for Wyoming elk or deer next year around Cody and if you draw we'll all head for the high and lonesome. The kid and some of his buds will be along to cut wood, put up tents, and pack horses since the two bulged discs in my lumbar stop me from doing most of this heavy work. We'll match horses to hunters and enjoy life in the Absorkas. My old departed friend Bud always told me to "get on up there son before you get old and its too late". Remember we will have to deal with grizzlies, wolves, maybe mountain lions but we might kill a bull elk or two along the way. Any bull is a good bull and any trip to the mountains with friends beats working. My wife and I choose to move from Mississippi to this part of Wyoming in 1981 because we wanted to live here. We have never regreted it but then some folks would probably hate it. By the way that's not us on page 6 of the new Field and Stream but it the country we love. Later pards.

Comment

Ish,

You can imagine how much I would love to go. It won't happen this year 'cause my wife is seriously ill and I cannot be that far away. But here is my email address [email protected] Jim , Sarg and I talk by email quite a bit. Drop me a line. Maybe in a year or two. I still have good connections in Alaska if you want to go let me know.

Comment

walmart I bought 500 shells for under 15 bucks

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                Thanks all, for all the kind words and expressions of sympathy. I truly appreciate it. It takes a man who has lost a fine canine companion to truly understand....
                                Today, 10:04 PM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Nope. Busy dealing with a bear skull and big whitetail euro that is way overdue getting back to the clients.

This is going to take a while
                                Today, 10:03 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                I love posting factual comments that can only be answered by personal insults from the other side.
                                It's like taking candy from a baby!
                                Today, 09:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X