Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a long action to build a rifle on. Any suggestions? I've been hitting the gun shows and reading the want ads try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Remington 700

Leave a comment:

• uwurst
    replied
    I recently found a rem 700 for a few hundred at a pawn shop. I sat down and called about 15 stores to find it. Most who use the 700 will also work with a savage 110. Good luck hope you find one!

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    What about an older Savage 110 0r 111. They're as accurate as anything out there, and might not cost a fortune.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    idduckhntr,
    As I understand it, the Remington 798 is made in the Czech Republic, which has been a member of NATO since 1999. My resources show no disposition of that tooling to Russia, but your information may be more current than mine.
    Ed

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    Jim in Mo,
    I called Midway and they do not have the Remington 798 in stock at this time. Remington projects that it will make a limited quantity of barreled actions available but appears to be gauging customer demand before doing so.
    I'd considered Samco as a resource, but any Mauser action I obtain from them will have to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and the bolt handles on a number of them will have to reshaped to clear a scope's eyepiece. Since the Remington 798 and a number of other Mauser sporters (used FN, Husqvarna, Santa Barbara, etc.) will not require additional gunsmithing expenses for those services, it seemed a good idea.
    Midway did suggest I call Remington's offices in North Carolina (Ph: 1-800-243-9700) during normal business hours (Mon-Fri) to discuss it further, and I will do that. I'll post whatever information I uncover.
    Good luck on your project.
    Ed

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Jim in Mo I looked at Samco Global and noted the same thing. Looks like J & G only list a few mausers for sale at this time. Another web site or two indicated that the era of cheap mausers is over as they had none in stock. Southern Ohio Guns is a site that another pal bought two K-98s from about two years ago but it appears they only have ammo and parts now.
    TD, my globe trotting friend, said to inquire by phone to J & G because he was there before Christmas and they had lots of guns which are not listed on the web site.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    ish,
    Went to sites mentioned. Samco Global has some interesting stuff but from what I see the M24/47 is a short action 8mm Mauser, I need a long action. If you see this again please mail me at jim_wright2001, please note the underscore dash, I'll give you main address later.
    Ed, if you see this please do the same.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    ish, thanks for the help. I'm astounded at the low price, the Rem. and the Legacy that I've priced were something like $400 and up. I hope the stores you mentioned will come up when I google them. I think it would be wise to go with something that could be easily repaired rather than an outstanding but otherwise useless action if something breaks. I was just thinking that maybe the M24/47 & M48 is cheaper because of work involved. I'm curious now.
    Ed, thanks for offer, let me know what you find out.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    The rifles from J & G were just over $100 each not for all three, sorry I did not make that evident in the previous post.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Jim, my friend emailed me from somewhere in the world and said that he bought the Yugo M-48's from Samco Global. He thinks they only have M24/47 mausers now for about $150.00. He also indicated that he bought three nice Turkish M-98's from J & G last fall for just over $100.00 but does not know if they still have any in stock. You might check them out. Hoosier Gunworks has a lot of info on the various mausers so you can figure out what you are ordering. Of course as you are aware these rifles require quite a bit of effort to make what you probably want so you might be better off just to buy an old Remington and rework it. At least you won't have to worry about having to make some part when it breaks.
    Clay as much as I like the 03 or 03-A3 I just never see any for sell. An old friend passed away last year who had a dozen or so. They were from as issued to fully customized. His widow gave them to their city kids who live back east so I never got a chance to buy one or two. They probably were pawned shortly thereafter.
    Too bad you can't buy Sako actions like in the old days.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    i would go with a Remington 700 action.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Jim, NOS but If you was wondering where the pics came from I took a bunch of old photos to Wallyworld and put them on a disc so I could post them. Will be adding more in a few. Most were taken with my old Minolta Maxxum by timed release or by a friend.

Leave a comment:

• idduckhntr
    replied
    The Remington 798 is made in Russia and is no longer listed in the new Remington catalog, buying a used beat up 700 and using the action is your best bet.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Jim in Mo I was going to suggest the barreled actions from Midway but someone beat me to it. I want just the action for another .458 so I guess I am in the same situation as you. A friend bought three nice Yugo M-48 Mausers from some place on-line about two years ago for not much money. He used the action from one to build a nice .416 Taylor. I will contact him to see what the site was and get back to you. He works out of country sometimes so it may be a day or two. My gunsmith neighbor is down to buying older M-700 rifles and salvaging the actions to rework them. There are some other actions available but they are BIG bucks, more than I want to pay.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    Oh its threaded for a Remington 700 which is what I'd also recomend

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad