Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a long action to build a rifle on. Any suggestions? I've been hitting the gun shows and reading the want ads try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ish, thanks for the help. I'm astounded at the low price, the Rem. and the Legacy that I've priced were something like $400 and up. I hope the stores you mentioned will come up when I google them. I think it would be wise to go with something that could be easily repaired rather than an outstanding but otherwise useless action if something breaks. I was just thinking that maybe the M24/47 & M48 is cheaper because of work involved. I'm curious now.
    Ed, thanks for offer, let me know what you find out.

Comment

ish,
      Went to sites mentioned. Samco Global has some interesting stuff but from what I see the M24/47 is a short action 8mm Mauser, I need a long action. If you see this again please mail me at jim_wright2001, please note the underscore dash, I'll give you main address later.
      Ed, if you see this please do the same.

Comment

Jim in Mo I looked at Samco Global and noted the same thing. Looks like J & G only list a few mausers for sale at this time. Another web site or two indicated that the era of cheap mausers is over as they had none in stock. Southern Ohio Guns is a site that another pal bought two K-98s from about two years ago but it appears they only have ammo and parts now.
        TD, my globe trotting friend, said to inquire by phone to J & G because he was there before Christmas and they had lots of guns which are not listed on the web site.

Comment

Jim in Mo,
          I called Midway and they do not have the Remington 798 in stock at this time. Remington projects that it will make a limited quantity of barreled actions available but appears to be gauging customer demand before doing so.
          I'd considered Samco as a resource, but any Mauser action I obtain from them will have to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and the bolt handles on a number of them will have to reshaped to clear a scope's eyepiece. Since the Remington 798 and a number of other Mauser sporters (used FN, Husqvarna, Santa Barbara, etc.) will not require additional gunsmithing expenses for those services, it seemed a good idea.
          Midway did suggest I call Remington's offices in North Carolina (Ph: 1-800-243-9700) during normal business hours (Mon-Fri) to discuss it further, and I will do that. I'll post whatever information I uncover.
          Good luck on your project.
          Ed

Comment

idduckhntr,
            As I understand it, the Remington 798 is made in the Czech Republic, which has been a member of NATO since 1999. My resources show no disposition of that tooling to Russia, but your information may be more current than mine.
            Ed

Comment

What about an older Savage 110 0r 111. They're as accurate as anything out there, and might not cost a fortune.

Comment

I recently found a rem 700 for a few hundred at a pawn shop. I sat down and called about 15 stores to find it. Most who use the 700 will also work with a savage 110. Good luck hope you find one!

Comment

Remington 700

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to New 4 X 16 - 44mm
                    by jhjimbo
                    Almost no bears in Ohio and if there was one it would be a young male pushed out of PA or WVA to make a new territory....
                    Today, 11:05 AM
                  • New 4 X 16 - 44mm
                    by jhjimbo
                    Just got my new scope from Acme Machine. the scope (China) is private labeled for Acme. First focal plan, red/green illuminated, Limited lifetime warranty....
                    Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                  • Reply to Real Quiet
                    by 99explorer
                    Here is another.
                    A poor man standing on the roof can see further than a rich man standing in the basement.
                    Today, 10:51 AM
                  • Real Quiet
                    by jhjimbo
                    Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
                    09-17-2021, 12:23 AM
                  • Reply to Real Quiet
                    by 99explorer
                    Post #4 is also on topic, but is hardly a original thought..
                    Today, 10:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X