Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a long action to build a rifle on. Any suggestions? I've been hitting the gun shows and reading the want ads try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a long action to build a rifle on. Any suggestions? I've been hitting the gun shows and reading the want ads try

I'm looking for a long action to build a rifle on. Any suggestions? I've been hitting the gun shows and reading the want ads trying to find a beat up gun just to get the action.

Sounds like you are already getting a handle on it. An old Remimgton 700, a Winchester Mdl 70 or late model Savage with accutrigger is what I would want. A Kimber would really be nice but not likely to find one. Might try The on line auctions. BTW I have posted some more of my old pics from AK. You can see them by clicking my name.

Comment

Del, a beat up 700 with a bent barrel and cracked stock is exactly what I'm looking for.

Comment

The remington 798 is built with a mauser action receiver that is built in austria I believe. It is a true mauser style action (control fed). Not sure if the action only is available for pupose so you'd have to do a little investigating. If you could get it; it would be world class. good luck.

Comment

I meant purchase, not purpose.

Comment

Double heat treated Springfield 03-A3 is the best choice!

Comment

Jim in Mo, I've learned the Remington 798 suggested by jay (and I second that suggestion) is available from Midway Arms and Brownell's as a barreled action; I don't know if it's available as an action only, but I'll pursue it by phone because I too want to use it as the foundation of the next rifle.

Comment

I don't know but I've got a krieger 300 RUM with a muzzle brake on it if you need that...
                CB

Comment

Oh its threaded for a Remington 700 which is what I'd also recomend

Comment

Jim in Mo I was going to suggest the barreled actions from Midway but someone beat me to it. I want just the action for another .458 so I guess I am in the same situation as you. A friend bought three nice Yugo M-48 Mausers from some place on-line about two years ago for not much money. He used the action from one to build a nice .416 Taylor. I will contact him to see what the site was and get back to you. He works out of country sometimes so it may be a day or two. My gunsmith neighbor is down to buying older M-700 rifles and salvaging the actions to rework them. There are some other actions available but they are BIG bucks, more than I want to pay.

Comment

The Remington 798 is made in Russia and is no longer listed in the new Remington catalog, buying a used beat up 700 and using the action is your best bet.

Comment

Jim, NOS but If you was wondering where the pics came from I took a bunch of old photos to Wallyworld and put them on a disc so I could post them. Will be adding more in a few. Most were taken with my old Minolta Maxxum by timed release or by a friend.

Comment

i would go with a Remington 700 action.

Comment

Jim, my friend emailed me from somewhere in the world and said that he bought the Yugo M-48's from Samco Global. He thinks they only have M24/47 mausers now for about $150.00. He also indicated that he bought three nice Turkish M-98's from J & G last fall for just over $100.00 but does not know if they still have any in stock. You might check them out. Hoosier Gunworks has a lot of info on the various mausers so you can figure out what you are ordering. Of course as you are aware these rifles require quite a bit of effort to make what you probably want so you might be better off just to buy an old Remington and rework it. At least you won't have to worry about having to make some part when it breaks.
                            Clay as much as I like the 03 or 03-A3 I just never see any for sell. An old friend passed away last year who had a dozen or so. They were from as issued to fully customized. His widow gave them to their city kids who live back east so I never got a chance to buy one or two. They probably were pawned shortly thereafter.
                            Too bad you can't buy Sako actions like in the old days.

Comment

The rifles from J & G were just over $100 each not for all three, sorry I did not make that evident in the previous post.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X