Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby .30-378?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby .30-378?

Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby .30-378?

yes very good gun why

Comment

I am trying to find a reason to spend money on a $3,000+ Weatherby set up.

Comment

My buddy has one. It is just a super powerful .30 caliber rifle that eats expensive ammo. But if you've got the money... He uses it in central California to take out pig at long distances (600+ yards). so, if this is the type of thing you are into, I would say why not get it... bigger is better.

Comment

I noticed that price tag for a box of 20, another reason why that gun is not in my gun closet.

Comment

kvlaser22,
            Yes I've seen them being shot and I've seen the shooters reaction. Why would you want that hard kicking, expensive ammo SOB. Sure, it'll scrap dust off a caulk line at a thousand yards, but who cares. 99% of people shouldn't even shoot at a living creature at 300 yds. Despite what they say, most of those very long shots end up being cripples that get away they don't mention. If you just have to have a mag, get a 300 Win. And practise.

Comment

Wow! That is quite a round. I remember picking up on of those shell casing at Sparrevohn LRRS, AK.

Comment

I had a Weatherby Mark V Magnum .30-378. In my own opinion, it may be the best cartridge available. It will take big Elk and Moose or anything else. I don't know why people want to buy a rifle with low recoil and try to kill big or Dangerous game with it. It doesn't make sense. Ammo is inexpensive if you load your own. Anybody reading this ought to have all the reloading gear, right. The most expensive part is the brass. After it has been fired 2-3 times, there goes the cost. How much is a Moose or Elk (or even a deer) worth anyway. Ammo cost is not a consideration. Effectiveness is.

Comment

Yep. It sure is loud!

Comment

$$$

Comment

Not in my gun safe!

Comment

Not in my gun safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim in Mo View Post
                          kvlaser22,
                          Yes I've seen them being shot and I've seen the shooters reaction. Why would you want that hard kicking, expensive ammo SOB. Sure, it'll scrap dust off a caulk line at a thousand yards, but who cares. 99% of people shouldn't even shoot at a living creature at 300 yds. Despite what they say, most of those very long shots end up being cripples that get away they don't mention. If you just have to have a mag, get a 300 Win. And practise.
                          LOL! I'm about 7 years too late in response to this post! I once owned a 30-378 Weatherby and was excited to own the big boomer! I quickly grew to dislike this round. The muzzle blast and recoil were horrendous and it gobbled up over a hundred grains of powder at a time!! After a couple of seasons I sold it and bought a rifle chambered in the good old 300 Win mag for elk hunting! The elk don't know the difference and I never looked back!

Comment

Originally posted by kvlazer22 View Post
                            I am trying to find a reason to spend money on a $3,000+ Weatherby set up.
                            Because you can.

Comment

Originally developed by us military for extreme distance
                              It delivers,ballistics are at the top end.a replacement shoulder is a good investment
                              It kicks like a mule on steroids.
                              Ammo is high priced reloading
                              Takes a lot of the pain out of owning one.if you want a looong range shooter this should make you happy at least until someone hits your shoulder.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad